• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar SE16 vs Samsung Spinpoint T166 (HD501LJ) questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabber359

Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar SE16 vs Samsung Spinpoint T166 (HD501LJ) questions

I'm stumped, really. I've spent the past few hours researching both drives trying to figure out which one I should buy, but came up with no definite conclusion. There is also very little info on these forums regarding the two. Maybe that's because they are relatively new?

Samsung Specs:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Har...ve_SpinPointTSeries_HD501LJ.asp?page=Features

WD Specs:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=301#jump77

What I'm looking for is end-user experience with these two drives. Given the choice, which one would you go for and why? I've put my own pros and cons down from what I've come up with so far:

Samsung Pros:
- NCQ
- 99 Euro price tag
- higher data density and throughput (3 platters vs 4)

Samsung Cons:
- Samsung only make TVs?
- Reliability? Ie, no previous experience with the Samsung brand. This is a major con for me and hence why I've made this post.

WD Pros:
- It's Western Digital! Ie, I have two other HD's of the same brand and so far no problems. Other user experiences (Friends, forums) point to WD being well known and reliable drives.
- quicker access time

WD Cons:
- More expensive. 119 Euro
- No NCQ?

The drive will be used for storage. Music, video's (FRAPS recordings, video editing), general data. I think I'm slightly more in the WD camp atm. It's only because my local computer store (20seconds away from my house :p) have the 5000KS's that I haven't bought one. The newer models are AAKS from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong on this. So far I haven't been able to find any info pertaining to a difference in AAKS vs KS models. Even on the WD site the specs are the same, so what gives?)
The store to which I'd have to travel to purchase the 'newer model' is 50km away. I also took a look at the WD RE2's, but the store only has the 400GB model. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Back