• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX GEFORCE 8600 GT FATAL1TY a good card??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tucker_k

Registered
The XFX GEFORCE 8600 GT FATAL1TY seems to do well in reviews, but I just want to know what people here think. Preferably from people who own the card- is it a good one to buy in order to play upcoming games like Crysis?

I am trying to buy for the future, but I also have a budget.

It might play it at lower resolutions without the graphics all turned up, but I doubt it would play it and look as good as it should.

But I couldn't say from personal experience. And noone could say how it would play Crysis, as there's no demo or anything yet.

I was interested in this card too. The reviews do look pretty good really.
I just don't have the cash to throw down on a 8800 of any kind.
From what I have been reading its performing at least as fast as teh 7900gs and its got the benefit of dx10.

hopefully someone who owns one will chime in.

Wardog

Look at he ELSA GLADIAC review in this section and youll see that one reviewed real well too. The Fatality card should be slightly faster than that so it might be an ok starter DX10 card.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. I mean I know the specs aren't fantastic (yes, 128 bit), not as many pixel pipelines as I'd want, but for $150 (if you know where to look) it's not a half-way bad looking card.

Anybody here have an 8600 gt of any make?

Nope but i'm getting one. The project lead of Crysis was interview in PC Gamer UK a few months back and he said this is what Crysis would need to run on Ultra Settings

E6600
2GB Ram
8800GTS

All at stock obviously. I'm hoping a 8600 oc'ed a nice little bit, backed up by a good CPU will be able to play this on medium at least.

Google for some in game footage, it makes Half Life 2 look like frogger!

I wouldn't pay for the fatality name.

I'm sure most of the DX10 games are backwards compatible with DX9 aswell. So spend you're money on X1950.

IMO you'd be much better off getting an x1950XT or similar and playing the game in DX9 mode with the settings turned up fairly well. Whereas an 8600GT will play DX10 probably at LOW settings.

IS this the one with the fanless heatsink?

I asked about it last week and got nothing but negative replies; nobody really answered the question I was actually asking. Personally, I think it looks like a nice upgrade to my current card, as long as I keep in mind that it isn't anywhere near the top of the heap.

IS this the one with the fanless heatsink?

I asked about it last week and got nothing but negative replies; nobody really answered the question I was actually asking. Personally, I think it looks like a nice upgrade to my current card, as long as I keep in mind that it isn't anywhere near the top of the heap.

It would be a little bit of an upgrade. But everyone is trying to steer you away from it because the increase in performance over your current card is not worth the price to upgrade (at least in my eyes).

What's the point of having a directx 10 card if you can't play a directx 10 game with the settings up to reasonable levels?

And, YES, this card has a passive heatsink.

I've seen a lot of benchmarks for it, it doesn't seem as bad as people make out. It runs Bioshock on 1280x1024 on full very smoothly, seen it myself. Although, it has no AA :/

The issue I also considered is whether I wanted to move over to Vista. I keep hearing rumors that there is some secret version of dx9 that's really dx10 for XP. That or some guy is modding dx10 to work with WinXP. I have no immediate plans to switch to Vista so for now, I see no reason to get a low end card just to get me in the dx10 door.

I'd still like a 8800GTS or above though.

From what i hear, this fatality card does not OC well - its passively cooled.
Have a regular XFX 8600 GT, easy OC'd to 699/853 from stock 540/700.

unless you have ample airflow in your case i would stay away from a passively cooled video card. My friend almost got one, but hes using a closed hp tower case and that card would get hot enough to melt wire inside =D

question:

what dx10 games are currently out there? can you only play them on vista? is dx10 only for vista and dx9 only for xp? whats the deal?

Back