• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

updating old A7n8x-x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgwl

Ok i'm getting a new laptop and i thought i may as well buy a new graphics card for my aging PC - was recently playing Tiberian Sun and it kept crashing on me prompting new investment.

My specs atm are:

A7n8x-x mobo
AMD 2500 barton
1gb ram (2 x 512 DDR 333mhz)
Connect 3D 9600 (i was young and unresourceful, not choosing to get 9500)
Antec 1080 AMG 400watt PSU

What kinda graphics card can i get in the current markets that won't be above $100 and still be able to compete relatively well?

On side note, i keep getting glitches when i watch videos on pc, and also when i play C&C i get a "lawnmower man" effect with the screen focusing to the center and making trippy psychedelic patterns!

many thanks

Thank you for replying.

I actually live in the UK and $100 was an estimate of what i was willing to spend (£50). I will go along with your suggestion as it seems it should last for 2 more years, upgrading the other parts from time to time...

Quick question:

What is better between the GF7600GS and the Radeon X1550 ?

Again Thank you for replying.

I've actually given up on the idea of getting a new graphics card because my friend has a 3D Prophet 9800XT 256 that i'm trying to steal for a low price of $50ish :)

On a side topic... Laptops & Graphics cards:

I've been trying to find out more info on the ATI Mobility Radeon X2300. I did a search on here and came up with an article dating back and not really going into details. I've also been on Toms hardware site but to no avail did i find a comparison. Does anyone know where it would fit into the table of "best gaming cards for the money" from toms hardware? Or rather, how would it perform with the following specs:

Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz)
1 x 1GB DDR2 667

The laptop i'm drawing this from is the Asus A8JR-4P011C.

I'd love to get an Asus C90 but they're not available in UK yet and i need a laptop at the end of the month...

dgwl said:
Again Thank you for replying.

I've actually given up on the idea of getting a new graphics card because my friend has a 3D Prophet 9800XT 256 that i'm trying to steal for a low price of $50ish :)

On a side topic... Laptops & Graphics cards:

I've been trying to find out more info on the ATI Mobility Radeon X2300. I did a search on here and came up with an article dating back and not really going into details. I've also been on Toms hardware site but to no avail did i find a comparison. Does anyone know where it would fit into the table of "best gaming cards for the money" from toms hardware? Or rather, how would it perform with the following specs:

Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz)
1 x 1GB DDR2 667

The laptop i'm drawing this from is the Asus A8JR-4P011C.

I'd love to get an Asus C90 but they're not available in UK yet and i need a laptop at the end of the month...

the 2300 mobile is prolly just an underclocked 2400pro to save power. Won't be able to game.

Back