• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solving general hardware failure issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sjvarley

I've got some kind of general hardware failure issue going on. Both prime95 and orthos generate errors after about an hour. I've gone as far as flashing the bios back to stock, clearing the cmos, setting everything to stock (no oc at all).

I've run memtest+ for 6 hours on about 3 occasions without any issues. I'd like to run it longer, but I need my computer during the day.

Any suggestions on more testing that could identify the culprit? Right now I'm running a small fft orthos, but I doubt that could narrow it down to the cpu.

My cooling is great, and I have fans blowing on the memory, and chipsets.

i know you said your cooling is great, but have you checked that the heatsink is seated? sounds like it's heating up.

Could it be your PSU? Id try taking out a couple of things one by one to see if that helps anything. Even if it isnt the PSU.

3 plus hours on small fft's is good so far...maybe it is a memory issue after all. I suppose it could be the psu, but it's pretty high end 1000W unit. I should probably pull the chipset heat sinks off and check those as well.

I'm running some pretty snoozy spd timings on the memory, which is set to 2.2V. The mem spec is 2.2 - 2.35. I'll up that a bit and see if it makes a difference.

I'll also try the memory program posted...thanks for the advice!

Some days I really hate computers.

Back