• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best thermal tape?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

So, quick question, what's the best thermal tape out there for ramsinks, MOSFETs etc. I gotta get my ramsinks attached to my X850pro, and I'm sick of using the ceramique/superglue method.

Akasa (Shin-Etsu) pads from Sidewinders good?

In the same neighborhood of questions, what's the difference between thermal pads and thermal tape? I was under the impression there was no difference, but when looking through some threads I found with the search function, I found someone saying they needed tape and not a pad.

Well the thing is whats the point in making them PADS if they need to be permanant. I think they are actually have adeshive on them.

Features
  • High thermal conductivity
  • Very low thermal resistance which improves with aging
  • Applying heat and pressure further lowers the thermal resistance.
  • Excellent initial (assembly) and long term adhesion
  • Excellent process ability and transfer to the heat sink
  • Thermally stable products
  • Available in bulk quantities at discounted rates for OEMs & Systems Integrators

Thermal tape is adhesive, a thermal pad is not adhesive and requires the heatsink to be held by other means like screws, as for the best i'm sure sure though i'm sure mostly people will post here saying to use a arctic silver two part thermal adhesive as it's better than any tape.

That's what I mean, what's the difference between thermal pads and thermal tape... both are thermal adhesives, right?

edit: I know the Arctic Silver adhesive (and Alumina) are better, but they're permanent (unless I lean up on the mixture and mix things differently, add in some AS5 which I don't have)... too much work for ramsinks. I just wanna tape 'em on there, I plan on transferring them to newer cards.

Plus, cleaning off super-glue/thermal adhesive isn't fun to do on a video card. Easy enough on the ramsinks though.

Okay, so thermal pads don't have adhesive properties? Why is it the Akasa ones at Sidewinder is listed with adhesive properties (long term adhesion)?

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akshintherin.html

If not, I can get the Chromerics Thermattach tape I guess.

The sinks on my x1900XTX are attached using that Shin Etsu stuff. Believe it or not I was using double sided tape before, lol. Huge improvement going from that tape to the Shin Etsu stuff. Let me hit some higher memory clocks and the sinks feel a bit cooler to the touch.

Weird the sinks feel cooler, you'd expect them to be warmer as they're dissipating the heat from the VRAM.

Either way, the Shin-Etsu stuff works, right?

Maybe the cooler feeling is also due to the fact I've got a 92mm Panaflo blowing on the sinks now. But yeah, this Shin-Etsu is great.

Back