• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't get over 3.2GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Hey there, I'm trying to overclock my P4 2.8c Northwood, and I can't seem to get it dual-Prime95 stable over 3.2GHz. The rest of the components are an Abit AI7 mobo, 2GBs of PNY Optima DDR-4000, XP-90 heatsink, and a Aspire 500 watt PSU.

Now I know for a fact the RAM isn't limiting the overclock, as I'm running it 3:2 right now to test the maximum FSB of the CPU. Right now I can safely boot, and dual-prime @ 228MHz FSB, with 1.55 volts running through the CPU. It idles at 35-38c, and under a full load goes up to 52c. Any ideas? The CPU is a C1 stepping I believe, and I do have HT enabled. The BIOS is also updated to the latest one.

I caused smoke to come out of my old Aspire 500w . (back before i knew how important it was for a good PSU )

Anyone know a good one for say $50 or under? I don't feel like buying an uber sweet one for such an older machine, but I would want to be able to still oc it more, and not live in fear of my whole comp going up in smoke:(

I recommend Enermax. Get one of the new ones and sure, it'll cost a pretty penny, but it'll last you for years and provide AWESOME power. My old Enermax 320 (maybe 350? whatever..) ran my quad-core, 8800gtx, 2 gigs of ram, 2hdds, 2 optical drives, and an x-fi card no problems. Ran silent and cool too :). So ya, Enermax pwns.

Enermax is okay some are pretty unreliable and like to randomly crap out..

If your willing to push the boat out to 80 you could get a corsair 520HX which is tried and tested to be great PSU.

JonnyGURU reccomends.

Ok, so if I get a new one, do you think I'll be able to get that much more out of the CPU? Whats the safest voltage to take it to on air? Is 52c under a full load too hot? I know for your water cooling people thats a little hot, but I mean for those of us without all the expensive toys:shrug:

Well I'm only @ 1.55 now, so looks like theres quite a road ahead before that death syndrome comes rolling around:beer:

I remember back in the northy/prescott days the best psu out for those was the Fortrons/Sparkle. But then we did'nt have to worry about the X1950's at that time. Dam been that long...wow.

Your best bet is to get a psu with

A) A strong single 12 rail
B) Followed by a 5v & 3.3v rails.

I'm sure that X1950 is sucking evry ounce of power from that Expire, oops i mean aspire psu;)

There's a reason why I call Aspire psu's Expire, lol

My old rig has a Northy in it. During gaming/stress testing I've hit 58~59 degrees. Stock voltage on it.

dudleycpa said:
My old rig has a Northy in it. During gaming/stress testing I've hit 58~59 degrees. Stock voltage on it.

Looks like my temps are good for now then, + I just bought a new PSU for it. Can't wait to get this thing OCing again, and I haven't even gotten a chance to OC the video card yet:drool:

Back