• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20cm fans and larger - king of the hill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geoffchad

Registered
There are a lot of fans out there in "larger sizes" that have some serious potential to flow a lot of air while not providing an obnoxiously large amount of noise. I just found the info on the Yate-Loon fan, and figured I'd start a thread as I've found quite a few threads about the XClio's huge fans...

Anyone have any more information/stats to add, or opinions on any of these?

Yate-Loon's 22CM Fan:
D22SL-12H 220x220x30 12V 600RPM 135.0CFM 25.5dB (Sleeve bearing)
D22BL-12H 220x220x30 12V 750RPM 168.0CFM 31.8dB (Ball bearing!!!)

Antec's 20CM 'Big Boy' Fan (found on the 900 case):
BB-FAN200 200x225x30 12V ???RPM ???.?CFM ??.?dB (Sleeve bearing)

FrozenCPU/Performance-pcs 25CM Fan:
FAN250 250x250x30 12V 820RPM 105CFM 19.0dB (Sleeve bearing)

XClio's 22cm '25cm' fan:
XCLIO25 220x220x30 12V 800RPM 150CFM 32.1dBA (Sleeve bearing)

XClio's 36cm fan:
XCLIO25 335x335x33 12V 600RPM 205CFM 30.9dBA (Sleeve bearing)

Still no word on the Aerocool or Enermax fans yet.

Last edited:
contact jab-tech.com and put in a request for them. he might order some in if there is interest in it

well i have a Enermax Uber Chakra case and it claims this on the side 250mm fan

2704803240100511463S600x600Q85.jpg

25cm Fan (650rpm, 17dB(A), 90cfm)

I have the frozen cpu 25cm on my armor case...it is very quiet and does move decent air.

^^^
Maybe mine's broken then. It's quiet, but I wouldn't say it pushes much air. It's more or less a vent (although I guess any fan's better than no fan). If/when it breaks down I'm just going to put a 120mm fan there for videocard cooling.

Currently, I have the XClio Windtunnel which sports 2 25cm fans. That, plus 2 120mm fans are whats pushing air through the 3x120 rad. Informal testing showed that when I added on 3 120mm fans to the rad, it was only about a inconsistent 1C difference.

I wouldnt mind getting a 250mm fan for the side of my case....sounds like a gd idea.

Would you be able to put one on each side of the case and make like a wind tunnel effect???

Be Warned!!

Although large fans have the specs, they have very LOW air pressure compared to smaller fans. The pressure is what pushes air through your heatsink! It all depends on your heatsink though. A Scyth Ninja would work well with a low pressure fan because its fins are far apart, and Ultra120 would not!

Just wanted to make sure that was known. Have fun!

Hipcrostino said:
Be Warned!!

Although large fans have the specs, they have very LOW air pressure compared to smaller fans. The pressure is what pushes air through your heatsink! It all depends on your heatsink though. A Scyth Ninja would work well with a low pressure fan because its fins are far apart, and Ultra120 would not!

Just wanted to make sure that was known. Have fun!

thanks for the warning...

Anyone thought of buying a cheap car rad fan and strapping it to the side of their case???
i presume they run on 12v....would be pretty high amperage tho me thinks.

Sam__ said:
Anyone thought of buying a cheap car rad fan and strapping it to the side of their case???

Some people are using car heat exchangers and small car radiators, so one would assume the fan was the next 'logical step'. You are correct with the 12V and high current - probably 10A or so for a decent one (and thusly 120 watts of power, and you cant mess with the voltage on it to change the speed much - only a few have a low/hi setting). Yes, itd flow a few hundred cfm, but the flow will not be consistent across the area of the fan and whats worse, you'll also have huge noise and vibrations, and to get any decent flow at all, you'll need to space it away from components with a good shroud.

These large fans are not great at cooling heat sinks, and can dramatically mess-up the airflow in your case, but they can help to just move a lot of air. I'm going water cooling, so I wont have massive heatsinks all over and just want a big one to generally circulate air over the motherboard and through the case.

Mpegger said:
Currently, I have the XClio Windtunnel which sports 2 25cm fans. That, plus 2 120mm fans are whats pushing air through the 3x120 rad. Informal testing showed that when I added on 3 120mm fans to the rad, it was only about a inconsistent 1C difference.

Thats good to know - got any pictures of your setup? Also, have you ever considered running the radiator separate from case air with those fans to see what the temp difference is? I know I've been curious on cases where the radiator is actually inside the case how much worse the effectiveness would be vs outside in free air.

If it was the only case fan would it work....obviosly with a fan on the cpu hs but nothing else.

10A!!!! good lord....get it its own PSU then lol. unless you have a spare 120W in urs....which i dont in mine.

I'd say a fan on the cpu, the ps, and then the hard drives... it just makes sense. But with a variable controller on the lot of em, you should be able to really get a quiet computer. Thats one reason I'm so interested in these big fans.

Also I did contact jab-tech... but apparently the order minimum for Yate-Loon stuff is 500 units! So finding those things is going to be hard as heck.

Supposedly XClio will be selling the 25cm and 36cm fans on newegg at some point. I'll fire off a few emails and see what responses I get.

Oh, and the radiator fans on my Camaro are on a 20A circuit for two fans - but the combined assembly is supposedly good for like 1200cfm - so its a LOT of airflow.

Tstanfill said:
I have the frozen cpu 25cm on my armor case...it is very quiet and does move decent air.

grumperfish said:
^^^
Maybe mine's broken then. It's quiet, but I wouldn't say it pushes much air. It's more or less a vent (although I guess any fan's better than no fan). If/when it breaks down I'm just going to put a 120mm fan there for videocard cooling.

I have the Armor case that comes w/ the 25cm fan on the side. Did you guys order that 25cm fan from FrozenCPU and install it, or are you assuming that they are the same fan? I ask b/c the specs I have for each one are different. Thermaltake claims their 25cm is a 600rpm fan that runs at 15dB (don't list the CFM), while the FrozenCPU claims theirs is 820rpm that runs at 19dB and pushes 105CFM.

I'd like to get some more movement through this 25cm hole in my case. Any specs on the Aerocool or Xclio 25cm fans or where to get them seperately?

[[Top Post has been edited with updated information]]

I got a response from Yate-Loon... They pretty much told me I wasnt getting their fans unless I ordered a LOT of them - and they didnt even send me the specs I asked for. XClio on the other hand, sent me some interesting numbers-

XClio 36cm fan (VR)
DIMENSIONS: 335x335x33MM
BEARING TYPE: SLEEVE BEARING
RATED VOLTAGE: 12.0 VDC
START-UP VOLTAGE: 6 VDC (NORMAL)
RATED CURRENT: 0.16-0.55 A ±10%
RATED POWER: 1.92-6.60W
AIR FLOW: 90.5-205.36CFM
STATIC AIR PRESSURE: 0.83-1.76 mmAq
NOISE LEVEL: 22.08-30.93Dba
RATED SPEED: 50--600 RPM±10%(VR)
LIFE EXPECTANCY: 30000Hours at 25C/65%RH

XClio 25cm fan (VR)
DIMENSIONS: 220x220x30MM
BEARING TYPE: SLEEVE BEARING
RATED VOLTAGE: 12.0 VDC
START-UP VOLTAGE: 7 VDC
RATED CURRENT: 0.30 A ±10%
RATED POWER: 3.60W ±10%
RATED SPEED: 800 RPM ±10%
AIR FLOW: 150.49CFM Max.
STATIC AIR PRESSURE: 0.97mmAq

NOISE LEVEL: 32.1dBA
LIFE EXPECTANCY: 30000Hours at 25C/65%RH

I think some pros need to come in and look at those numbers to verify their theoretical accuracy, cause I'm no mechanical engineer.

jason4207 said:
I have the Armor case that comes w/ the 25cm fan on the side. Did you guys order that 25cm fan from FrozenCPU and install it, or are you assuming that they are the same fan? I ask b/c the specs I have for each one are different. Thermaltake claims their 25cm is a 600rpm fan that runs at 15dB (don't list the CFM), while the FrozenCPU claims theirs is 820rpm that runs at 19dB and pushes 105CFM.
Ahh- then ignore my post above- it's the fan that came with it. Assumed they were the same. Will have to look into the frozencpu fan.

geoffchad said:
Thats good to know - got any pictures of your setup? Also, have you ever considered running the radiator separate from case air with those fans to see what the temp difference is? I know I've been curious on cases where the radiator is actually inside the case how much worse the effectiveness would be vs outside in free air.

I havent a picture of the final setup. In my haste to get my system back in order, I forgot to take pictures of it in all its glory. :eek:

Needless to say, I havent overclocked anything yet, though I probably will start this weekend because I am very satisfied with the temps now, especially from the video card.

Current room temp: 74.7F (23.7C)
Current air temp at floor level: 23.3C
Current CPU temps: C1=24C, C2= 23C
Current 8800GTX temps: 40C
Current exhaust air temp from rad: 24.5C

Thats of course idling, with both 25cm fans running on high (they have a variable rheo control on the front of the case), and the rear 120mm fan being used to pull air into the case. I blocked off most of the air vents built into the case with clear plastic wrap, so pretty much the only place the air can go is out the rad (or any gaps in the case itself).

I'll also try to get some pics of this big project (headache) of a case up this weekend too in the water cooling section, so maybe other can get ideas with big fans too. Dont get the previous sentence wrong though. I love the case. The water cooling modding was the headache (and heartattack).

Kuroimaho said:
Sctyhe has this new case with a 36 cm fan. Wow. LINK

That appears to be one of the Xclio cases- if Scythe was making a 36cm fan, I would certainly be interested. It appears that only a couple companies make these large fans, and then they are re-labeled by everyone else.

Never heard of Xclio thought it's the name of the case, but scythe sometimes intros new brands here under it's own name or as retailer. Actually they bring in thermalright products as well.

Back