• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200/220mm fans for rads ( Phobya 1260 )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Wind

Hi guys I'm gonna build a system ( first time ever ) it will primarily be used for hardcore gaming, running VM's and a bit of video editing, and maybe a bit of benchmarking.
What I want to watercool is :

- an overclocked 4670k ( but later that may be a higher-end cpu )
- two overclocked gtx 880's, that's for later obviously
- maybe one or two mobo blocks too ( for now it's a Maximus VI Gene )
- and maybe my psu too ( a Super Flower Leadex 1300W gold )

There will be two pumps and the case will be the Phantom 410 mid-tower case.

I want to be able to push wild overclocks ( if chips agree ) and remain as cool as possible, while keeping my fans at low rpm to keep them as quiet as possible... that's why I decided to go with the Phobya Xtreme SuperNova 1260 external radiator, which can handle that heat silently ( and which seems to be more suited for low rpm fans than the MO-RA3 ). Its size : 460 x 420 x 46 mm.

It can be mounted with 9x 140mm-fans or 4x 200/220mm-fans, and I've decided to go with the latter since I'm aiming for low rpm.

Now.. I find it pretty hard to gather info about big fans mounted on rads, and the few tests I've stumbled upon are a bit outdated ( 2009-2011 ).
All the tests of the Phobya 1260 I could find have it mounted with 4x 200mm Cooler Master MegaFlow and 4x 220mm Yate Loon D22BL-12H.

So all in all, here is what I could come up with:

- Yate Loon D22SL-12H 220mm...600rpm ( not on a rad ): 61 cfm / 32.3 dB ( low static pressure )

- Yate Loon D22BL-12H 220mm...750rpm ( not on a rad ): 76 cfm / 35.3 dB ( low static pressure but it has proven it can get the job done fairly well on a Phobya 1260 ...but too noisily ? )

- Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm, less performant than the D22BL-12H, but produces less noise ( both compared on the Phobya )

- Antec Big Boy 200mm..............600rpm ( not on a rad ): 47 cfm / 28.5 dB ( has good static pressure, at max speed of 900rpm it is too noisy at 37.4 dB )

And that's it.. I'm at a loss regarding what to choose or where to find more recent info. If you guys know about better fans than those for the job, or would pick one in particular among these, well.. I'm all ear ^_^ :welcome:

Oh, and I still don't know if it'd be better to go for a push or a pull config. I think there are fans that do better at pushing or at pulling, that may be something to take into account.

Thanks !

You won't get anything in the 200-220mm size with a real static pressure rating, unless something came out within the last month.

You're going to want something in the 3mmH2O range for most radiators with low-mid FPI, and well over that for high FPI radiators.

Just go for fans that are 120mm, they're abundant and have MUCH better pressure capabilities than large fans.

Hey hi guys, sorry wasn't aware there were replies here, thanks ^^

So the rad will be the Phobya 1260, so it is only about 9x 140mm or 4x 200/220mm of fans ^^ and I've just bought that stand for it http://www.aquatuning.de/product_in...rt-Radiateur---3-fois-Triple---3x140mm--Bench, but at a cheaper price than that.

I've looked a bit more into the BitFenix Spectre Pro's, but I came across this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1387725/cooler-master-megaflow-200mm-vs-bitfenix-spectre-pro-200mm and well, that's not really promising. So not sure about them..

Okay so everyone says that big fans will lack the static pressure needed for good rad cooling, but here http://www.effizienzgurus.de/review...r/messergebnisse-temperaturen-durchfluss.html we see the Yate Loons 220mm do a good job ( the 1260 is low fpi and only 46mm thick, so static pressure may not be so important.. not really sure ). I did a graph on my own ( rpm / temps ) based on the results of that test, and the YL 140mm would even have to spin faster than the YL 220 to perform as well as them ( so even more air moved ( 9 fans instead of 4 ) + more air pressure ( them being 140mm instead of 220mm ) wouldn't be match for those bigger fans, in the case of the Yate Loons ). Low rpm matter to me as I seek quietness ( and the Phobya 1260 is more suited for low rpm ). So for now I was going to get the 4x YL 220.

But my reasonings may be inaccurate and there may be other 140mm fans that would do better than the YL 220mm *at the same rpm*, or as good at lower rpm ( theoretically 9x good 140mm-fans will overall move more air than 4x 220, with a better static pressure... that's why I'm a bit confused about the YL 140 being beaten by the 220 at a given rpm ). That's why I'm hesitating between 9x140mm ( don't know which ones ) and the 4x YL 220.
And maybe I'll do a push/pull config if that's not too noisy.

Yeah, so aiming for the best performance and quietness. I've also tried to take into account that larger fans have larger blades, move more air, and all that has an influence over noise.

Welcome to OCFs!

I honestly would have advised to go with a 9x120mm since the better fans are more accessible than say 140mm+ but at this moment it shouldn't be a problem either.

I would look at the best low noise 140mm you can get in the market. I would not go with bigger fans since they will lack the static pressure compared to the smaller guy. It basically comes down to this, the bigger fan has more air flow but less static pressure as compared to the smaller guy that has more static pressure but lacks the air flow because of its smaller size.

If you are tight on the budget and want some bang for your buck, I'd take a look at the Swiftech Helix140mm fans.

Welcome to OCFs!

Well.. I've considered going push/pull, and that can be done for a reasonable price with bigger fans... 18x 140's just cost too much.

So I think it's right to say that between 8x 220 in push/pull and 9x good 140 in push, the former will perform best, right? Someone could confirm this please ? (..and it wouldn't be more expensive, 9x Helix 140 would even cost as much as 8x YL 220, where I can get them )

So if that statement is true, the 8x Yate Loon D22BL-12H 220mm will be the way I'll go.

I would expect the 9x Helix 140s to perform better.
The Yate Loon you listed is a case fan (and doesn't even list a static pressure), whereas the Helix is actually meant for a radiator.

look at it like this:
you want to squeeze the last half degree out of it?
Go for 18x 120mm PWM Delta's in push/pull using 18x 140/120 converter/shrouds. Keep them at their lowest setting and they'll be silent, when the last half degree is in need of squeezing, ramp them up to their full 4300 RPM.
Note: this will need earplugs & a dedicated PSU

Too crazy? Then 9x Noiseblocker 120mm eLoop (PWM) + 140/120 shrouds
or
9x Noiseblocker 140mm PLs PWM
or
9x Helix 140mm

or

8x 180/200 mm Phobya (PWM)
or
4x 180/220mm something else

4x 180/200mm should still be enough, the rad isn't a 80mm thick monsta; but you'll not be able to squeeze the last half degree using 4x 180/220

The most important thing is PWM however, it makes life easy: no need to fiddle with a voltage fan controller, no need to always run them full tilt... set up a nice curve using speedfan for example and its set & forget.

It is a BIG radiator, it will perform well even with little air going through it, which means that you can have fans at minimum speed most of the time. => fairly silent
When needed, the curve set will make sure they ramp up, even to max speed if needed.

The other benefit of PWM is that you have only ONE lead (1 RPM signal+1PWM control) running back to the PC/MB.

And IF you use 18 Deltas, then a dedicated PSU bolted to the rad/stand for the fans power (+ pump), something like one of the universal laptop PSUs (you need to work out the max Amps/Watts drawn by the fans in order to dimension the "size" of the PSU
:)

I'm using 9 of these on mine and even at full speed they're fairly quiet but they do come with a reduction cable. I got them in a clearance sale for 7.99 ea. The hardest part was wiring it up with all 9 fans. Static pressure isn't very high but not really needed with this rad.

Thank you for those posts ! they're useful thanks

Well the best way to be sure is to make the tests on my own. I'll go firstly with the Yate Loon D22BL-12H 220mm, 8 of them in a push/pull config... and then when I can I will see how 9x good 140mm-fans compare to them on that rad. And I'll come back to you in a thread dedicated to those tests.

Now concerning the PWM fans control..
Okay I understand why PWM is of interest. Now those Yate Loon aren't PWM fans, but here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1753813/combine-fans-fan-controller.html , the guy who is 'picked as solution' says that with this splitter http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...-_Smart_Fan_Cable_AK-CBFA03-45.html?tl=g2c251 he can PWM-control 4 fans that aren't PWM-fans.. he has a fifth fan connected to the splitter, a PWM one, and that's maybe why he is able to PWM-control all five fans at once. Is it really possible ?

I could have 2 splitters like that one, or even just only one with 4pin->2x4pin splitters placed at the end of its threads, have a PWM fan or two inside my case linked to it too ( yes.. gotta love cable management x) or a bit of modding if need be ) so all fans could fit and be software controlled ( not separatedly, no problem ), without even risking to burn a board fan header since the power would be drawn directly from my psu ( 1300W ) or even from a smaller dedicated psu.

What do you think ?

That splitter simply gives the signal to five PWM ones.
Not sure what that dude is on about, but a fan has to be PWM to be controlled by a PWM signal...

Wokay Thanks

But, even without being able to use the PWM signal, would I still be able to plug 3pin-fans in it and feed them through the molex ? use it like an extender with a molex

Wokay Thanks

But, even without being able to use the PWM signal, would I still be able to plug 3pin-fans in it and feed them through the molex ? use it like an extender with a molex

You can, but you would have them at full speed all the time.

There are fan power splitters made just for this though...

That's it exactly, the charger goes from 7vDC to 24v DC in increments. I just modded a 3 pin connector to the laptop connector wire. That 9x 3 pin I linked worked very well but it was a b**ch to get the thing untangled and seperated to where I wanted it

Back