• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

127mm fans, yes there really are such things Timmy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

They're usually industrial fans but some servers use them (e.g. HP)

Nidec manufactures them:
Beta V
ta500dc

Nidec even manufactures a wide-body model that is 127x50mm (screaming loud, mucho CFM [200+] and static pressure).

So does delta:
FFB1312EHE (a 127x38mm vaneaxial, which is also loud and produces 179.75CFM to 200 CFM and16.40 to 20.30 mmH2O of static pressure)

Why do they manufacture 127mm fans when there's only a difference of 7mm between them and 120mm fans? It could be because there is standard ductwork in 127mm (~5") sizes.

Sweet. A cursory glance it seems these are not ready-made for home PC applications so that's what threw me off, lol (like a MiB/GiB thing, haha!). You have to wire in your own connections (Delta), and the Nidec is a 24V application. Typically fan PCs were always in 40/80/120/140/200 etx. and 12V with power use more appropriate for their 3/4-pin headers (some molex of course).

Are there any with standard connections at 12V that don't take over 2A/24W? :rofl:

Last edited:
The HP server customized version of the Nidec TA500DC I have is +12V. It's customized because it has output, flow straightening vanes (somewhat like the Silverstone SST-AP182) that aren't present on the regular models. I got two for cheap off ebay. The delta FFB1312EHE I have is also +12V, but has no PWM control features :cry:

The Nidec TA500DC B34607 only draws 1.97A @ 12V so that's less than 2A!

@Nebulous
The AC light dimmer pot was a great idea! What use did you put them to?

I have a +12V 150x50mm delta fan (the AFC1512DG, 259 CFM) I've never used. I originally wanted to put it in the floor of my case because I don't have enough intake vs. exhaust, but my silverstone SST-AP182 sidecover fan has that covered now.

thats interesting. earlier this week i found a VA450DC and was thinking if grabbing a few for a rad. i bet the static pressure at low speeds on these would be better than most still.

anyway as for the 127mm part, i think you got it right off the bat. its a very common duct size for many different things. I think the standard US dryer vent is a 5 inch'er

Typically fan PCs were always in 40/80/120/140/200 etx.
Did 92mm fans not even exist to you? You monster.

Speaking of monsters. Do you guys remember the little delta screamers? You know the ones that would take the tip of your finger off if you didn't heed the screeching as a warning.

Imagine jamming your fingers into one of those 127x50 24v fans... Starts at the finger tip and sucks your hand in, chopping it's way up to the wrist? Gnarly.

The 127mm fans that I have aren't the beasts that some fans are. A 4300 RPM 127x50mm fan is nothing but a gentle breeze in comparison to this SanAce 172x102mm, dual, contra-rotating monster fan (yes that's an Al framed fan and 600 CFM!):

Yes this fan is 102mm THICK!

Hey I found a pic. This was testing using one of them meat shreaders as exhaust. Here i'm using a 120mm Scythe Ultra Kaze on the chevy heatercore and plastic shroud.

During P4 days. Dam that was a long time ago :rofl:

Attachments

• Picture 001(04-07-04).jpg
    Picture 001(04-07-04).jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 6
...Speaking of monsters. Do you guys remember the little delta screamers? You know the ones that would take the tip of your finger off if you didn't heed the screeching as a warning.

Imagine jamming your fingers into one of those 127x50 24v fans... Starts at the finger tip and sucks your hand in, chopping it's way up to the wrist? Gnarly.

the VA450 and VA500 are the same, if not more powerful

Back