• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED FANS 101: Going Scientific.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
firstly, let me first point out that consider a 140mm and a 120mm is quite different.

now on to specs:
As for what Thermalright says this fan can do:
Fan Dimensions : L160mm x H140mm x W26.5mm
Fan Weight : 140g
Fan Speed : 900~1300RPM (PWM)
Sound Level : 19~21dBA
Airflow : 56~73CFM
Static Pressure: Unlisted
*Cable Length: 10.5"

The fan is nice on the performance/noise balance.
21dBA is barely audible.

for me, I think 33dBA barely audible too. (so maybe I have bad ears. hahaha)
so I don't mind fans that are at 33dBA, to optmize machinery, I will want a higher RPM fan, like this one.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...00RPM_127CFM.html?tl=c331s877b165&id=kmpifRE6

I use this, and I can barely hear anything...
but again, noise is a very personal thing, I hope you won't find my choice too loud. :)

Max rpm of the ty-140 is more than enough and it's dead silent to me...good pressure as well. All my case fans are now ty-140's lol and I ordered two 5300rpm 220cfm pwm fans for my Silver Arrow. :D

Thank you bluezero5! Very nice write-up!:thup:
I'm always telling people that what market call "cooler" fans will usually be a better choice for their cases that "case" fans because of case component resistance to flow. They can be spun slower and move more air quieter.

:bang head Thermalright TY-140 series fans are not 160x140mm. The only way to get 160mm in diagonal.:rolleyes: They are 151.5x141x26.5mm +-.25mm. After much nashing of teeth and hair pulling thermalright.com finally has the numbers right but thermalright.de still has it wrong.
LL

If you want more cfm get the TY-143; 45dBA; 140cfm @ 2500rpm.

All other TY-140 series are 21dBA; 73.6cfm @ 1300rpm

TY-140 series:
*TY-141/143/145 =; 2 Ball Bearing
*TY-140/147 = Enhanced Hyper-Flow Bearing (EHFB)
*TY-143 = .6amp
*TY-140/145/147 = .2amp

TY-140/143/147 = all look the same but different colors
*TY-140 = tan/blue
*TY-143 = red/orange
*TY-147 = black/white

TY-141/145 = all look the same but different colors
*TY-141 = tan/green
*TY-145 = black/white

There are also;
TY-151 150mm fan 34dBA; 84cfm @ 1100rpm 160x140x26.5mm
TY-100 100mm fan 30dBA; 44.5cfm @ 2500rpm 108.25x101.5x14mm (only available on AXP-100 cooler)

Oh! It's simple to cut down TY-140 series to 141x141mm with a good mitersaw or tablesaw with a good fin tooth carbide blade. You end up with 59mm on all sides. Yeah, I painted the housing black.
TY-140sqfrtcrop300_zps77e39e28.jpg TY-140sqedgeblk300_1rezpsf8ad4b35_zpse71b8f60.jpg

And again, Thank you bluezero5 for Fans 101. A must read for everyone. :thup:

A very good finish blade or a blade made for cutting plastic should be used. Using a sliding miter saw I clamp the fan so it can't move and slowly cut the fan housing. On table saw I have a sliding top with 90 degree back and hold fan against that and slide the top slowly cutting the fan housing.

Actually, I like to leave those side flanges in place. When I was testing the TY-140 on my D14, I got a couple degrees better cooling with the flanges sticking out the sides that I did with the flanges sticking out of the top and the bottom. I think they made for better airflow over the finstacks.

Actually, I like to leave those side flanges in place. When I was testing the TY-140 on my D14, I got a couple degrees better cooling with the flanges sticking out the sides that I did with the flanges sticking out of the top and the bottom. I think they made for better airflow over the finstacks.

Cut only as need to fit.;)

Interesting. I've never tried them round top and bottom. Clearance issues in case thing. Males sense though. The flats on inside of flat sides would be my assumed cause. Something to do with radius versus cylindrical shape of shroud either increasing airflow or better directing it. Same theory as used in shape of velocity stack ends on engine intakes would apply to both intake and exhaust of fan. Radius and taper to reduce turbulence and increase airflow.

Of course the length on engine intakes is based on piston created pulse and rpm.. same as exhaust header length/size/anti-reversion cone, etc., but the general intake airflow is similar.
Velocity_stack_detail.gif
attachment.php

Last edited:
I have a question. When doing the math to calculate the positive airflow, do you count the CFM of the heatsink and HDD rack fans? Just wondering, because they're not really intaking or exhausting from the case.

I have a question. When doing the math to calculate the positive airflow, do you count the CFM of the heatsink and HDD rack fans? Just wondering, because they're not really intaking or exhausting from the case.

In this thread I was able to create substantial flow through a case using only the fans on the heatsink. No case fans, but . . .

It's hilarious, in a way.

That is too hard to add. Every case has diff front design, changing airflow, HDD amount is diff, as is the case wiring. To consider that, your talking so many variables that it's a bazillion possibilties, and we dont have a $1,000,000 computer to calculate that. Or the lab to check it. Reality, think about all the fans, cases, folks wiring layouts, CFM on the heatsink is wayy to diff to even measure. Talk about random math calculations, it's worse than taking Pi to 13+ 75,000 possibilities.

It's fan vs result. The rest is up to you. :attn:

That is too hard to add. Every case has diff front design, changing airflow, HDD amount is diff, as is the case wiring. To consider that, your talking so many variables that it's a bazillion possibilties, and we dont have a $1,000,000 computer to calculate that. Or the lab to check it. Reality, think about all the fans, cases, folks wiring layouts, CFM on the heatsink is wayy to diff to even measure. Talk about random math calculations, it's worse than taking Pi to 13+ 75,000 possibilities.

It's fan vs result. The rest is up to you. :attn:

Ok, thanks. Just wondering because I planning on putting a Gentle Typhoon AP-30 120mm and Reeven ColdWing 120mm Performance fan in the front of the case and a Yate Loon High Speed 120mm Fan behind teh hdd racks. However, I have only one mechanical hdd but my hdd cage is pretty dense(NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower), but I think I might be better off putting that fan on the side instead.

Congratulations bluezero5!

Positive airflow is more cfm into case than out.

I consider heatsink and GPU cfm, but only to be sure case is flowing more air than heatsink and GPU. If case does not than some of heatsink/GPU heated exhaust is going to be mixing with case air and heatsink / GPU intake air will be hotter than room ambient.

Heatsink fans.. push/pull will be same as what one of the fans is rated at, not the combined total of both... I suppose if they are super high pressure there might be a slight increase in cfm, but minimal.

HDD rack fans? Most cases don't have separate fans on HDD, only the intake fans in front so no.

You don't need exhaust fans if you have good flow design an low resistance exhaust vents. (remove exhaust grill like ehume's cases show)

Hey bluezero5 can you recomment me a good 120mm blue led or red led fan, i found this on amazon, it this good enough for a 480mm rad?

http://www.amazon.com/Spire-Force-1...1358434299&sr=1-7&keywords=120mm+blue+led+fan

or would you recommend another good blue led fan that cost under $25 each, i'm looking to buy 8 of them to run push pull

the one you got there is decent, quiet. In fact, since you are on a 480mm rad, you be having 4 of these? how many items you cooling? if anything less than CPU + SLI yes, those will do fine.

another choice will be Enermax Duo Vegas. it is a transparent fan with very good LEF lighting effects. I do think they are under $25 each, check them out. :) They are around 80 CFM, and it comes with come different LED lighting modes, I think you will like them.

Back