• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10mbit WAN speeds on routers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

i was looking at the specs of my router (befsr81) and the WAN speed is 10mbit max... thats only 1.2mb/s

im running high speed cable ive seen speeds of 1.2mb/s

Ill be upgrading to a 1gbit switch soon and people say to keep the router for added security to the network.

should i upgrade the router too?

overclucker said:
should i upgrade the router too?

It's up to you. It seems that you're already hitting the WAN speed limit of 10 Mb/s. The is more than the average Internet speed, but if you're paying for service faster than 10 Mb/s, then it'd be reasonable to get a router that can support it. OTOH, less than 10 Mb/s Internet performance is fine for the majority of users so far, so you could also live with it if you choose.

Some routers have built-in gigabit switches (generally limited to just four ports though). Currently, the somewhat dated DGL-4300 is available for around $80 + a few for shipping at Frys. The newer DIR-655 is around $110. Both have fast internal hardware and can do much more than 10 Mb/s WAN throughput. (See Small Net Builder's router charts for more on this.)

no, it is at 10Mb nothing you can do

now, does your ISP have speeds as MB or Mb.... if MB then your router is holding back alot of speed.

well whats your connection speed of the isp... i have a 15mbit connection and if my router was only a 10mbit connection it definetly would hold me back but it doesnt.

i used a speakeasy speed test and after i converted to kilobytes i was at 1082 kilobytes per second. and my max though the router is 1200 kilobytes per second. so its pretty darn close to the hard max limit.

Last edited:
overclucker said:
i used a speakeasy speed test and after i converted to kilobytes i was at 1082 kilobytes per second. and my max though the router is 1200 kilobytes per second. so its pretty darn close to the hard max limit.

what is your isp's quote on the speed of your internet? like my isp (verizon fios) quotes me for 15/2mbit/s i almost always get 15mbit /s but usually get around 1.8mbit/s upload.

Back