• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA 6.0 Gbit/s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FLCLFan

Anyone know when this is coming out?

Wikipedia says its in SATA's roadmap.... anyone know where this is located?

Lets talk about it :)

Last edited:
Even on 1st generation sata interface at 1.5Gbps, no hard drive can saturate that link.

An exception on burst from drive's memory cache, but with today's drives cache size, they're not very meaningful or showing real impact on real life usage.

-

Even on 1st generation sata interface at 1.5Gbps, no hard drive can saturate that link.

While that is likely true I would like to point out the key feature that gives SATA 2.0 such a speed boost is NCQ. But I don't have any numbers on how much more this fills the bus.

Features wise yes, but I doubt even with highly tuned NCQ algorithm, it will saturate sata 1.5Gbps interface.

Doesn't 1st generation sata top out at 150mb/s, and sataII tops out at 300mb/s, so if each port has 150/300mb/s theres no way a single hd could saturate it, until some sort of sata hub appears:p

Ive heard of this. Its supposed to be able to handle multiple drives from one port, which is why they have it at 6gb.

freakdiablo said:
Ive heard of this. Its supposed to be able to handle multiple drives from one port, which is why they have it at 6gb.
Wasn't the whole point of SATA to get rid of multiple drives running on one port? I hope this doesn't mean we have to start using jumpers again... :bang head

Soichiro said:
Wasn't the whole point of SATA to get rid of multiple drives running on one port? I hope this doesn't mean we have to start using jumpers again... :bang head
I know, but so far thats the only thing Ive seen that makes it worth it since no single drive can come close to that speed.

I suspect if/when hubs appear thel will be inteligent i.e. set the drives up for you, could be kinda handy for raid arrays. Say 5 drives plus the hub built into one hot swap cage all plug into one sata port.

if they would make it so you can have multiple devices on one connector I think they would have fixed the jumper situation by then

EmAn said:
if they would make it so you can have multiple devices on one connector I think they would have fixed the jumper situation by then
Ya, some chip that detects OSes and makes those drives masters or something.

According to Wikipedia, the eSATA can support up to 15 separate devices, SATA 6.0 GB/s might be used there to effect.

Back