• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 8600 GT OC Temp: Am i doing it right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwijattam

Hi,

I have OC'd my XFX 8600 GT from Stock 540/700 to 699/853.

At idle the temps are 54-55 Celsius stable.
While Gaming this goes up to ~75.
In nTune when i test my OC after making any change, i can see the GPU temp going up to 84.

Got a score of 19399 in 3DMark,03 with e4400 @ 2.5 - stable
I am yet to see any artifacts.

But the temps worry me. Did i do something wrong here? :confused:

Cheers,
DM

Hi,

Iv currently got a 7500 le, I had temperatures of 95 C when playing games, to fix this I put a 80mm case fan blowing across the gpu (used those sticky squares to secure it in the case) now it reaches a maximum of 55 C when playing games such as FEAR and Colin McRae dirt.

Also, in the nvidia tool, it has the default maximum temperature as 125 C, so I would presume anything below that is fine? however my technical knowledge isn't that amazing, so it might be best if someone can confirm that.

I have also just bought the xfx 8600 gt, and I am planning on overclocking it, so i'll let you know the temps im getting. What software did you use to overclock it?

I used nTune with Coolbits. It works except for the fact that you need to create a seperate profile to save these OC settings in nTune and load manualy the next time you restart. :bang head

Cheers,
DM

I couldnt get that to work properly, try giving rivatuner a go, as it auto loads the overclock settings.

Seem to be some good overclocks, hopefully I can get mine to do the same

Just installed my 8600 gt, and overclocked it to 663 / 832, it can go higher, but the temperatures also seem to be around the 80 - 90 C mark aswell, and it idles around 54C. I guess if we've both got the same temperatures it must be ok???

I think so too, coz according to my understanding the GPU should start throttling if it senses anything wrong and as that has not happened...... moreover i have noticed that the upper limit for this card is rated at 125....

I'd say you're okay with those temps, but wouldn't go much higher than that, even being in the 80s would make me nervous, regarding how long the card will last. My experience with nVidia chips is limited though.

If the card really doesn't throttle until over 100 degrees one would assume anything under 90 would be safe, but you never know how it will affect things in the long run. Then again, maybe you, like me, have gotten an 8600GT to overclock just to last you until some new and maybe more mature DX10 cards come out.

I've got mine on 689/1476/739 (core/shaders/mem) currently, it reaches 48 degrees when running the Firefly forest test in 3dMark06 on repeat (I use that demo on repeat to check for artifacts when clocking).

Yes I did replace that stock cooler, I'm preparing for a voltmod, hopefully tonight. I really hope my memory will be able to go further with some extra volts because the mem OC is really crappy right now.

Have you clocked the shaders apart from what the core clock does for you?

Back