• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer here, tv over there. How do I do it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

One Bull

Well the title explains it basicly,
I have my computer on my desk and just got a new lcd tv but it's 7m between them. I'd like to use the tv as a big screen every now and then for movies and maybe for a little bit of gaming.

Is it possible to get a connection between these two? Because if I remember correctly vga signal degrades quickly as cables get longer...

What kind of connection does it use?

You can get repeaters I think which boost the signal after so long. (like a switch with Cat5e(max dist. 100m so after 100m you use a switch the boost the signal) if you getting me :p

Do DVI>HDMI. 10m should be fine for a decent grade cable. Analog (VGA/Component) may lose too much quality over that distance. I believe VGA only supports 1024x768/60Hz at 5m anyway. Component would have to be very similar, if not the same.

Do DVI>HDMI. 10m should be fine for a decent grade cable. Analog (VGA/Component) may lose too much quality over that distance. I believe VGA only supports 1024x768/60Hz at 5m anyway. Component would have to be very similar, if not the same.

I have run 1680x1050 on a 25' extensions cable. But DVI-HDMI sounds best :)

Check out www.monoprice.com for some great prices on cables.

Back