• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REAL Voltage safety for E6xx0, BIOS or Windows Load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazaro

I was searching around and seemed to get that somewhere between 1.5 and 1.55 would be "safe" for 24/7 stability on most of the E6xx0 line, if temps were ok.

Is this represented in the BIOS, in windows Idle, or in Load?

1.450V in BIOS
1.408V in Windows
1.352V under Load

ASUS P5B, E6600 @ 3.22Ghz

Since I want to go farther, I wanted to know how much headroom I have. Since temps are ~53C I figure I can go more, but wanted to make the that this chip stays fine.

The E6600 should be OK with 65C full load temps. Keep in mind that unless you are folding or running orthos/prime95 24/7 typically your CPU will not reach these temps as long as it is properly cooled. If you have 1.55vcore diled in and your temps under load go beyong 65C then you need to either reduce vcore or find better cooling.

It's a 44G chip, and that's 1.55V where?

BIOS, Windows, or load? P5B has a noticeable Vdroop and the pencil mod doesn't work on this board.

Safe voltage usually represents the Windows or BIOS 'real' Vcore (as opposed to BIOS 'set' Vcore.) iirc the P5B has a 'hardware monitor' screen where it shows actual Vcore as opposed to set Vcore. I'd go by that reading of actual Vcore.

Okie dokie, now do I go by Load or Idle ;)

I would say idle because it will be the max voltage. The sucker isn't loaded all the time so the voltage will be higher. If you have 1.55v under load but it is 1.65v at idle then you may blow your chip.

Back