• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"NEW" toys at school

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmAn

In our CCNA class at school we recieved donations from FFA (Future Farmers of America)

We recieved three HP LH-6000r NetServer's

Ours have two 700mhz Pentium 3 xeons

and

3 gig's of memory

(this is on one of them as we have only been testing one at the moment)

our problem is that the scsi controller is showing up as normal on ID # 7 but none of the disks are showing up

There are 3 10,000 rpm 36.4 gb scsi drives

do any of you know what may be causing this and if there is a way to fix them?

it has been really hard to find information on these but i have a little bit

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/pc-desktops/hp-netserver-lh6000r/details/

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...TypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&lang=en&cc=us

Is it not seeing the drives in the SCSI bios?
You may have a backplane that is bad.
Need to go into the scsi adapter setup and see if the drives can be seen in there at all. The drives also could just be "bad"

Possibly try another scsi card or check one of the other systems to see what it does.

thanks for the link.

yea the drives (all three of them) are not seen in the bios

when i get back in class tomorrow and can start working on it again i will try switching drives from other ones

Also, if those are hot swap bays (can't really tell from the pics) you can get adapters for those drives for about $15 each to just plug them directly into the ribbon cable. (it will be different connectors)

Check the cables for nik's/cuts, had a sun server with hot swap bays and it wouldn't detect the drives, turned out to be a cut it the ribbon cable from the mb to the drive cage.:)

yes they are hot swap bays

i will check the ribbon cable going from the hot swap bays and seeing if that is cut

also how would i go about checking to make sure that both ends are terminated to rule that out as a possibility

yea that is me in the background too (well one of the many voices in coats class)

the thing is rated at 50db i believe

also how would i go about checking to make sure that both ends are terminated to rule that out as a possibility

Typically, that's built in to the backplane. Also, for the drives, you don't need to set an ID, termination or anything, just slide them in and the drivers do all the work.

Typically, that's built in to the backplane. Also, for the drives, you don't need to set an ID, termination or anything, just slide them in and the drivers do all the work.

alright thanks.

Due to today being a half day we had a very short period.

I checked the cable going from the backplane to the mobo and it seems fine

now i dont think the backplane is dead because the power cable plugs into the plane and the drives spin up fine

i will be able to get more in depth tomorrow

Just an update... We did get the server up and running... We added 3 more HDD's for a total of 6. We have it running Server 2003 (IIRC) and have it running DHCP and DNS services. At the start of next school year we are going to see about putting a linux distro on one of the hdd's and see how well we can get a basic website up for testing (Faked internet connection to complete labs on the pc's connected via routers and switches). I will bring this thread up again once we start playing with it more.

Back