• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Opteron 246 server is done, lots of pics [56k blue screen of death]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
This post is a continuity bonus to this thread.

As some of you are already aware, I have been in the process of building a new server for the clan I game with to use install in our host's colocation facility.

I've been at this on and off for a little over a month now. Most of the time has been spent waiting for parts to arrive, and about two weeks were wasted because I changed my mind about what motherboard I was going to use.

Finally, this week, I finished construction of the server. Here are the specs:

2) AMD Opteron 246 CPUs (2.0ghz, 1mb L2 cache)
Tyan Thunder K8W motherboard (model S2885)
2048mb PC3200 ECC/Registered RAM (Corsair XMS, 4x 512mb DIMMs)
(2) Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM 74gb SATA drives (mirrored in RAID 1)
PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 ATX power supply with EPS12V support and active PFC
Antec SX1000 series SOHO file server case
Generic CDROM, PCI video, etc.

The parts all rolled in almost one at a time because I ordered from a bunch of different suppliers (mostly newegg.com and axiontech.com) so I had to let them sit before beginning construction. When I finally did, I had my camera handy. It's a Canon Powershot G3 if you're curious but I downsized the pics in Photoshop afterward so I doubt it matters. Sorry for some of them being blurry - shiny stuff messes up the AF lens.

Here is the CPU horsepower under the hood. Two AMD Opteron 64-bit processors. These are Opteron 246 chips, which run at a core clock of 2.0ghz. Each one features a dedicated, internal memory controller that runs at CPU clock speed, giving insane memory latency since there's no motherboard chipset to go through on the way to the RAM:

opterons.jpg

Since each CPU has the equivalent of half a motherboard chipset integrated into it in the form of an on-die memory controller, they use a lot of pins. 940 pins to be exact:

opteronpins.jpg

Whoa, that's a lot of pins. It goes in this socket:

socket940.jpg

Next step was to put the CPUs into the motherboard and attach the coolers to them. The next picture shows one of the Opterons in the socket for CPU0, while the other socket remains empty. The top of the CPU is white because I had already spread thermal paste on top of it in preparation for mounting the HSF on it.

baremobo.jpg

You can kind of see how huge the Thunder K8W is for a motherboard in that picture.

The next picture shows the HSF mounted on CPU0 and the second CPU in the socket for CPU1. No thermal paste on CPU1 as of yet.

onechipin.jpg

Here's the HSF mounted on CPU1:

bothchipsin.jpg

Next step: RAM. For memory I used four 512mb modules of Corsair PC3200. Opterons require Registered RAM, and most Registered RAM is also ECC-capable since it tends to be used only in servers. Corsair makes excellent high-performance RAM, and they've recently begun manufacturing Registered RAM for high-end Athlon FX systems. The PC3200 that I used has a JEDEC rating of 6-2-3-2 at DDR400 speeds. If you don't know what that means then it can also be said to be fast and danger.

corsairmodule.jpg

OH NOS, THEY'RE MULTIPLYING!@1

corsairmodules.jpg

And hey, here's the motherboard populated with CPUs and RAM!

fullmobo.jpg

There are two sets of memory slots - one for each CPU. That's because this motherboard supports NUMA - Non-Uniform Memory Access. Since each CPU has its own memory controller, that means that if there is more than one CPU, you should be able to set it up so that each CPU has its own share of memory to talk to. NUMA allows this, and nothing else does. This way, if we have BFV running on one CPU and DC running on the other, each game will be isolated to its own memory. The normal memory bottleneck within the motherboard chipset is completely eliminated, while simultaneously memory bandwidth is doubled. NUMA kicks ***. Unfortunately only 64-bit OSes are NUMA-aware, and they're not out in force as of yet. But in the future, we'll upgrade to Windows XP-64 or Server 2003's 64-bit rendition (please correct me if I'm wrong about this, software is not my forte) and we'll get a very substantial performance boost. Remember too that each Opteron CPU's on-die memory controller is dual-channel DDR400, so it can address each stick of RAM at the same time within its own bank. Also, if one CPU is running a task that uses more than one gig of RAM, it goes out over the hypertransport tying the two processors together, through the other CPU's memory controller, and into the other half of the RAM. So, there's still 2 gigs of RAM there, it's just split between both CPUs.

Anyway.

Now that the motherboard is was full, it was time to put it in the case. But first, here are the other notable parts I used:

raptors.jpg

Those are 74 gig Western Digital Raptors. The Raptor is the first non-SCSI hard drive with a spindle speed above 7,200 RPM. Raptors turn at 10,000 RPM, which means faster seek times and higher data throughput. Seek time is what represents a majority of drive performance in most applications, especially with game servers. I used two 74 gig drives because they will be mirrored in RAID 1 using the Thunder K8W's onboard Silicon Image RAID controller. Mirroring means that each disk holds the exact same data as the other one so that if one undergoes a catastrophic failure, the server keeps running. It also means that the total array capacity is only 74 gigs, since one drive is used as the mirror, but 74 gigs is plenty for our purposes and I don't anticipate a need to expand in the foreseeable future.

That said, I didn't really take any more pictures until I had the system completely assembled because most of the rest of the build was just mundane generic stuff.

So, now, I present to you, the finished product:

frontflash.jpg

There she is. I know it's kind of washed out because of the flash, so I took another one <i>sans</i> flash:

frontdark.jpg

There's no floppy drive, as you can see. I don't see a need for one with future operating systems, although I do have one that I may add if necessary. I'll probably put it in before delivering it to ILAN.

The topmost bay holds a Digidoc for thermal monitoring. The bottommost 5.25" bay holds the CD-ROM. The two bays above that hold the hard drives. They have their own internal blowers for cooling and the digital display is the drive temperature (in Celsius there) read by a small probe attached to the bottom of the drive near the spindle motor. You can set them to alarm when the drive hits a certain temperature but I haven't messed with that. Aside from looking kickin' rad, I got them for another reason.

The Raptors are standard-sized 3.5" hard drives, but the motherboard was so big that I couldn't fit it in the case with the stock internal drive cages in it because the HSF for CPU0 stuck up too high. So what I did was I used the drive coolers to relocate the hard drives up into the 5.25" bays. I could do this because they use Serial ATA, and SATA allows cable lengths up to 48 inches. Old school Parallel ATA have an electrical cable length limit of 18 inches because parallel interfaces are prone to inductance (crosstalk) at high speeds.

After relocating the hard drives I drilled out the rivets for the drive cages and popped them out, which gave me enough room to fit the motherboard in the case.

You can see the light coming out from the window in the side. The window came in the case already, and I didn't look for one, but since it had one, I figured I'd stick a pair of white cold cathode fluorescent lamps inside the case to function as work lights so you can see inside. Also, they look kind of cool.

sidewindow.jpg

That is a cooling fan in the door.

doorfan.jpg

The other angle is the rear angle. This may also be referred to as the RC angle. You can use the two nomenclatures interchangeably.

back.jpg

Note the absence of fan grills on the outside. The case had them, but they were those holes that had been stamped out of the steel. That means flat surfaces and jagged edges. Lots of air resistance and more noise. So I took my Dremel with the cutting wheel and sliced them out. I had to grind down the stubs left behind but I'll probably give it a touch-up since there are some burrs still left on there.

The case fans, by the way, are awesome. Comair-Rotron Flight II DC blowers are about twice (or more) the cost of regular 80x25mm case fans but they are built a lot better. They have double ball bearings, feathered blades, are manufactured to tighter tolerances, and weigh about twice as much as the el-cheapo fans that came with the case do.

casefan.jpg

Here is the inside of the case without the door in the way. It's nice and bright inside when the system is running. Too bad the CCFL inverter needs 12 volts or I'd have run it from the +5v standby line of the PSU, so the lamps could be on when the system is off.

sideview.jpg

insideview.jpg

That's the PCI graphics card in the bottom slot. I didn't even bother with an AGP card since this will only be a server, and everything else we need (SATA, Gigabit LAN, etc.) was integrated into the motherboard. The blue box on the floor of the case is the inverter for the CCFL lighting. The two thin red cables are the SATA cables going up to the hard drives, and the metal-sheathed round cable is the ATA cable for the CD-ROM. I did my best to zip-tie all the cabling and move it out of the way of the airflow. You can see how the air has a straight shot from front intake fans to rear exhaust fans with no impedements. You can also see how big the Thunder K8W is. Keep in mind this is a server case designed to accomodate WATX motherboards, and even so, I had to pop rivets and cut metal in order to get the motherboard to fit snugly - and it's really snug.

The lights are tucked away on the sides:

lights.jpg

That sums it up. It's a pretty basic machine because it doesn't need stuff like a fancy graphics adapter, sound card, DVD burner, or any of that other stuff desktops do well with. Aside from all the work I had to do modding the case to fit the Thunder K8W the construction was quick and easy.

At the moment I'm running XP Pro on it, since it's the only OS I have right now. I downloaded a beta version of XP-64 the other day but haven't messed with it yet. I'd like to get a 64-bit OS on it ASAP before taking it to the colo facility so we can get the benefits of NUMA. Does anybody have a suggestion I could look into? Or is XP-64 coming out relatively soon? Again, I'm not superb at software, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance.

A lot of you guys helped me with the parts for this so I owe you my thanks: DaveB, diehrd, CPFitz14, Audioaficionado, cmcquistion, zachj, and anybody else who lent their advice to this thread can hit me up for a beer anytime.

Edit: sentence structure

Last edited:
:drool:

Looks very nice there..... I had to hack at my previous case to get my K7D in, which wasnt a particularly big board - the Tyan Thunder is probably bigger. Problem is on the K7D that the RAM slots are right at the edge of the board, and interfered with the drive bays....

PS: Bonus :drool: smilie.

Thats a very respectable dual ... I want to play DC on it lol...

David said:
:drool:

Looks very nice there..... I had to hack at my previous case to get my K7D in, which wasnt a particularly big board - the Tyan Thunder is probably bigger. Problem is on the K7D that the RAM slots are right at the edge of the board, and interfered with the drive bays....

PS: Bonus :drool: smilie.
Oh yeah dude I know all about that too. I have a K7D in a SX1000 SOHO case for my home file server. In their efforts to make them standard ATX they make the boards damn near incompatible with every case on the market.

1.3 Morgan .18 micron kr3w represent!

donny_paycheck said:
Oh yeah dude I know all about that too. I have a K7D in a SX1000 SOHO case for my home file server. In their efforts to make them standard ATX they make the boards damn near incompatible with every case on the market.

1.3 Morgan .18 micron kr3w represent!

Heh... I put my problems down to being due to my old crappy case... lol.

Btw [email protected] each = Durons pwnt ;).

I have two questions:

1) How much?

2) That's an EATX board? or not? Can you go into more detail about the size of the board vs case and why you had to take the drive cage out?

Nice system. But I have to ask: you have a lot of fans. How much noise does it make? It's not really an issue for a colo'd machine but I'm curious.

:clap: :beer:

Glad to see it's up and running. Are those the 200CFM+ Rotrons, or would those be the 120s? Are the 80s actually rated at a higher flow, or are they just sturdier for a longer life?

Z

Okay, I'm back from a 4-day LAN party at which we tested this thing.

ejdmoo said:
I have two questions:

1) How much?

2) That's an EATX board? or not? Can you go into more detail about the size of the board vs case and why you had to take the drive cage out?
About $2600, I'd estimate. Hard to tell since I accumulated the parts very slowly.

It is an EATX board, yes. The SX1000 series will fit them, but it is a tight fit. With this particular board I had to take the cages out because the HSF for CPU0 was too large and hit against them when I tried to put them back in, so I decided to just cut them out completely.
arcas said:
Nice system. But I have to ask: you have a lot of fans. How much noise does it make? It's not really an issue for a colo'd machine but I'm curious.
a LOT of noise. The only reason it doesn't matter to me is because it won't be in my bedroom. I don't have a sound level meter here though.

jimstandard said:
yah i dont get the point of making it quite or the digi docs and the lights i mean its nice and all but no one will see it
The hard drive coolers were necessary because I had to pop out the drive cages in order to fit the EATX board in the case, which meant the hard drives were being mounted in the 5.25" bays. The lights were for lighting it up so as to make working inside of it easier. I don't spend time modding unless it has a functional purpose.

Dang Donny, awsome machine! :drool: Looks like that mofo has alot of horsepower needed for your clan.

Awsome job building it. Enjoy it ;)

I finally got to build my first dualie and i'm lubbin it!

K7D M-L
2x XP1700 TB's MP & Pin modded running 15x150=2250MHz
2x SLK-800's w TT SF2's
WD 100GB HDD
GF2 Ultra (64mb)
1-512mb Mushkin PC2100
1-256mb Samsung PC2700
Enermax 465w (fully modded rails)
Old time Antec server case

Not 1 single hiccup and she's runnin' like a bat outta hell :D Maybe if i hit lotto i'll build a newer one....nahhhh, i luv my old girl too much to give her up.

That blows me away! I have watched for it since you wrote the first thread, and I am impressed! Only 1 thing that I would change is get the 15,000 RPM Maxtor drives, although they are a little more pricey.

Good choice on all the hardware I think. It will be an excellent server for awhile! ;)

What HD enclosures are those for the SATA drive's, I've been looking for some. I havnt seen digidoc's in a while. I bought 5 of them on a closeout from someplace for $12.99 each a couple years ago. I used 1 and still have 4 of them here. They monitored fine, but i didnt like the controls.

Very nice server though. What's it score running sisoft Sandra. I pull off 18k in the cpu test on my duallie XP's You have to get over 20k i imagine??

verbatim said:
So how did it perform? Where ur clan impressed? Better than the old one? How many servers u have running? how many people on them?
It worked great, but we only loaded it down with a max of around 12 people. Our dual 1.2 Athlon MP with 1.5 gigs of PC2100 usually has about 20-30 clients on it, mostly on Battlefield Vietnam at the moment. But even then, we can get laggy mostly due to needing more RAM. We run one server, and because of this, I decided on some higher-speed Opterons. The alternative was building 2-3 servers using MP 2800+ chips, because they are cheaper if you have several of them (for gaming servers, that is).
Tedinde said:
What HD enclosures are those for the SATA drive's, I've been looking for some. I havnt seen digidoc's in a while. I bought 5 of them on a closeout from someplace for $12.99 each a couple years ago. I used 1 and still have 4 of them here. They monitored fine, but i didnt like the controls.

Very nice server though. What's it score running sisoft Sandra. I pull off 18k in the cpu test on my duallie XP's You have to get over 20k i imagine??
Haven't benched it yet but I will soon. It's still unplugged in the corner since I brought it back from the LAN. The HD enclosures are Vantec Vortex hard drive coolers. The only reason I used them was because I had to cut out the old drive cages, but hey, they work great, so I'm not complaining.

I had the DigiDoc from a few years ago. I thought they didn't make them anymore but I could be wrong. There are so many drive bay add-ons nowadays that work better. DigiDoc is straight old school. Fo' sheezy dawg.

unless i missed something you said you maxed out the server at 12 ppl because you didnt have enough ram but in the top it says you have 2 gigs of PC 3200. You also said that the old server which only had 1.5 gigs of PC 2100 was able to run 20-30 ppl... i dont think thats right but then again i might not be reading it right...

on another topic that looks like the exact server i might get but was thinking of only using the motherboard that was one step down... which is the
Tyan "Tiger K8W (S2875ANRF)" AMD-8000 Chipset Server Motherboard for Dual AMD Opteron CPU -RETAIL
i know that the one you got supports numa but by the time numa matures and really gets utilized on all games etc.... something else will come out. Im glad to see it all worked out.
Eddie

Cytomax said:
unless i missed something you said you maxed out the server at 12 ppl because you didnt have enough ram...

No, he said that they only tested the new server with a maximum of 12 people. Logically, the far mightier Opteron server with one-third more RAM will far outstrip the old one, but they haven't tried yet.

I wish I had two gigabytes of RAM... <glares at dually with 128 megs> ah, screw it-- where's my debit card?

Back