• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AVG Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kisersize

Hey All,

I'm new to these forums, was told to come here and seek a solution to my problem.

Recently I have been getting an error with Photoshop CS3 when ever I try to create a new document, some dpb...dll file or something cant be written.

So it was suggested to me to download AVG virus scan and use it to see if I am infected. I am running AVG as we speak and at the moment I am up to about 17,000 threats. Yes, you read that right, 17,000. Weird thing is though, all the files being listed as threats are located in the same place, my users shared folder on the C: drive under Documents and Settings.

Now this strikes me as a big problem. Mostly because it is listing every bit of software I use as a threat, like photoshop.exe and norton disc doctor 2007.exe and im guessing EVERY other file in my shared folder.

What the heck is happening? What do I do? Any guidance or help is extremely appreciated.

Hope to hear something soon.

Thanks.

Is that where your Limewire or similar programs download to? If you downloaded all the software you listed above off of P2P I wouldn't be surprised if some/all of it was infected with something.
Did you not have any antivirus before installing AVG?

That is where Limewire used to download files, but I dont use limewire anymore. And all the software I listed was not downloaded thru a P2P program, they are legit copies.

No I did not have any virus scanning software before AVG, I just used adaware and spybot.

If once the the scan is finished, and AVG wants to "heal" the threats, will doing so cause the all those files to become unusable? Will I no longer be able to use photoshop or the other programs it listed.

AVG has passed thru my shared folder now and has leveled of at 21899 threats, will all but 3 coming from my shared folder.

What should I do?

If all of the files in question are in your shared folder, even deleting them should not be an issue, as your legitimately installed programs should be in the program files directory. Backup everything before proceeding nonetheless.

That is where Limewire used to download files, but I dont use limewire anymore. And all the software I listed was not downloaded thru a P2P program, they are legit copies.

No I did not have any virus scanning software before AVG, I just used adaware and spybot.

If once the the scan is finished, and AVG wants to "heal" the threats, will doing so cause the all those files to become unusable? Will I no longer be able to use photoshop or the other programs it listed.

AVG has passed thru my shared folder now and has leveled of at 21899 threats, will all but 3 coming from my shared folder.

What should I do?

Kiser,

A humble opinion from me is to format and reinstall. You can let AVG do it's thing but you have quite a massive problem. I would save what you can to CD and scan it later before copying them to your HD.

Spybot and AdAware alone are not enough.

A machine this badly infected is indeed a candidate for a format and reinstall. Running without any kind of antivirus when doing peer to peer is a certain way to buggar up a machine.

If you resist the format/reinstall then you need to get bigger cleanup tools than AVG. Kaspersky AV and Hijack This should reveal enough additional nasties to convince you that the format/reinstall is the right solution for a problem of this magnitude.

Yeah...a small infection is not too hard to deal with (unless you got something really nasty), but making sure everything is clean with thousands - nuke.

Back