• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to get a laptop??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pizzapieguy

I have looked around a bit and cant find a laptop to fit my needs.
I'm looking for one that can handle low-resolution gaming, one that has a fast cpu, and at lest 1gb of memory. Also duel core. I will upgrade to 2gb later
At the price of Less then $950

Also a question about cpu?? Is there a difference of the AMD and Intel laptop processor. Talking about Dual core.

I hate Dell! BUT There laptops imho are the best "bang for your buck"

Im too believe that the AMD dual cores run at a lower wattage thus making your battery last longer or it could be the opposite.

I Also looked at the HP laptops and they seen ok but dell would be better for the cheaper price

I also built one
HP Pavilion dv9000z customizable Notebook PC
GD574AV

* – Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
* – AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 (1.8 GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache )
* – 17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
* – 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* – NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150
* – FREE Upgrade to HP Imprint Finish + Webcam + Microphone
* – FREE Upgrade to 160GB 5400RPM from 120GB 5400RPM!!
* – FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
Price is $955 after tax and shipping and all the other stuff.

The dell one with the same price doesnt give me 160gb a lightscribe webcam, mic, and 17" screen
does this look like a good build and will the NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150 work out for games like counterstrike and battlefield, still going to buy an extra 1gb of memory later on.

Last edited:
Intel chips are running faster and consuming less power these days as far as laptops go. I would recommend a Core2Duo system over an AMD system. Look at the Dell Vostro 1400 or 1500 series. If you need battery life, you should get an 8400GS if you still want to play games. If battery doesn't matter so much, get the 8600GT. If battery really matters and games don't, get the X3100 graphics.

Back