• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

irq assignment prob in winxp pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xdroorsx

after finally achieving stability with an athlon 1800+/abit kg7 raid combo, i'm having irq problems with win xp pro. at first, my nic, sound card, usb controller, vid card, and raid controller were ALL assigned to irq5. what the heck :mad: i went into my bios and reserved irq5, and things were resorted. now the vid card and raid controller have their own irq's, but the nic, usb controller, and sound card are all on irq10 now. any ideas on how to get around this? my nic is busy with a cable modem, and i listen to mp3s often, which creates some random stuttering. any help would be much appreciated :rolleyes:

Unless you are having stability problems, it'll probably be OK. It's the way the VIA IRQ steering garbage works in Win2K and XP.

If you're having problems with stability and you believe it's the fault of the sharing then you can go into Device Manager and change the ACPI Compliant PC driver to Standard PC and reboot. Some of your devices may reinstall and make you reboot again but they all should have their own IRQs.

i'm sorry, i'm not following you.... could you please give me a few more details on disabling ACPI? i thought i read somewhere else that this could only be done with a by reinstalling the OS :rolleyes: thank you again

Don't need to reinstall.

Go into Device Manager by right clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties. Go to the Hardware tab and hit the Device Manager button. At the very top will be a + Computer. Click on the + and you'll get a drop down that says ACPI Compliant PC. Open that properties box and change the driver for it to Standard PC. It will require you to reboot.

After POST go into your BIOS menu and disable ACPI and save your settings. Reboot and load Windows. A few devices may reinstall themselves and may or may not require another reboot. Once fully loaded, ACPI will no longer be functional but you should have all your IRQs straightened out.

Back