• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have the Thermalright Ultima-90? It seems pretty good.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am surprised that there isn't more people giving feedback on the forums about this HS. Seems like a great design. Everywhere that is selling this was sold out a week ago, so people are buying them.

Last edited:
I have one coming for my new rig, and it should be here tomorrow. It uses the exact same 6 heatpipe configuration just slightly smaller. The ratings on it are very very good placing 2nd or 3rd behind the ultima 120 extreme. In general, it is about 1 to 2 degrees hotter at idol than the 120 e, and 3 to 4 at full load. For overclocking people are seeing maybe a 0.1 ghz difference in the top end. On the plus side it is lighter and smaller so it does not have the case door issues that some people have with the 120 e. It will fit a 92 or 120 mm fan. A BIG PLUS is it is about 5 to 10 dollars cheeper than the 120 E and almost there in permance.

I am surprised that there isn't more people giving feedback on the forums about this HS. Seems like a great design. Everywhere that is selling this was sold out a week ago, so people are buying them.

I am not surprised - I too would rather get the 120 extreme over the ultima, probably like most people.

Maybe I would use it for a tiny HTPC where you need a short HSF.

I dunno, I would probably still take the 120...

Well if space is an issue this is a little shorter than the 120 extreme or Tuniq120. It is also a heck of a lot lighter and cheaper too. I am definitely considering this come this fall when I OC my CPU.

Its is shorter then the the TRUE120, but I wouldnt call it small. It still stands 5.5" tall.

For $10 more you can get the 120 extreme... that's probably why this isn't a big topic of discussion... The only reason to go w/ the 90 over the 120 is due to size restrictions... Wasn't this covered already?

i have one coming on 9/13. reason i got it is because i wanted a small heatsink that performed good. i'm gonna be playing around with the mounting system to see if i can squeeze some lower temps out.

i have a TR bolt-thru kit i was gonna use for my apogee GT but since i decided to go back to air, i have no use for it. so i emailed TR support and they are sending me the scissor retention clip that comes with the 120 extreme for free. catch is, it'll take 15-20 days for me to get it. :(

anywho, i'll be using it on my budget upgrade in my sig.

Just recieved my Thermalright Ultima 90 today. I have my cpu, BUT the remained of my new system is still being shipped so nothing to report.

From the pictures of the 120 I have seen it looks exactly the same except the 120 has about 6 to 10 extra aluminum fins and the pipes are longer. So I think it is a 120 with about 1 inch cut off basically.

Just recieved my Thermalright Ultima 90 today. I have my cpu, BUT the remained of my new system is still being shipped so nothing to report.

From the pictures of the 120 I have seen it looks exactly the same except the 120 has about 6 to 10 extra aluminum fins and the pipes are longer. So I think it is a 120 with about 1 inch cut off basically.

Nice, sounds very promising. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

i have one coming on 9/13. reason i got it is because i wanted a small heatsink that performed good. i'm gonna be playing around with the mounting system to see if i can squeeze some lower temps out.

i have a TR bolt-thru kit i was gonna use for my apogee GT but since i decided to go back to air, i have no use for it. so i emailed TR support and they are sending me the scissor retention clip that comes with the 120 extreme for free. catch is, it'll take 15-20 days for me to get it. :(

anywho, i'll be using it on my budget upgrade in my sig.

That's funny. My Ultima-90 is scheduled to be delivered by UPS tomorrow (09/13) as well.....and I'm also in San Gabriel (right across the street from the Civic Auditorium). I ordered the same mobo and ram, as well. :D

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3068&p=1
It's pretty damn good considering it's 45 dollars at crazypc.com
Not as good as the Ultra-120 but better than the TT120 it seems.
Anyone have it? I'm reluctant to get the Ultra-120 because A)its more expensive
B)The Ultima-90 would satisfy me 110% because I'm not a aggresive overclocker.

If your only going to clock to 3ghz then honestly the Freezer Pro 7 is overkill and will save you 50% on the cost....not to mention much much easier to install.

That's funny. My Ultima-90 is scheduled to be delivered by UPS tomorrow (09/13) as well.....and I'm also in San Gabriel (right across the street from the Civic Auditorium). I ordered the same mobo and ram, as well. :D

lol, i bought mine from jab-tech, coming by fedex. i'm near the hawaii supermarket on valley. i'm still waiting on my rebates for the mobo and ram. :temper:

I am mounting a scythe 120mm 1600 rpm fan on it. Kinda defeats the spce saving a little bit. When mounted the fan is the same width as the hs, and about 1.5 cm above the top of the hs. It seem sfairly light to me, actually lighter than I expected. It is packed with a backplate, fan attachments for 92 and 120 mm, attachments for socket 775 and socket am2, and finally a pressure plate to actually mount the hs.

The cpu surface looks fairly flat, is nickle coated, is reflective but not mirror like. You can see some circulart machine marks in the surface.

With a fanless Ultra-90 never exceeding 50C @ 1.5V on a Pentium D 915, i would love one of the Ultima 90's with a low speed 92mm.

If your only going to clock to 3ghz then honestly the Freezer Pro 7 is overkill and will save you 50% on the cost....not to mention much much easier to install.
I'm already at 3.0 on stock lol, I was just saying I don't really need the larger, more expensive, ultra-120.
You guys think the Ultima-90 with 1 92mm fan would let me push my e6750 to 3.5 with ok temps?

I'm already at 3.0 on stock lol, I was just saying I don't really need the larger, more expensive, ultra-120.
You guys think the Ultima-90 with 1 92mm fan would let me push my e6750 to 3.5 with ok temps?

Possibly,depends on the chip as all are different as are sinks.You may buy a U90I and find the base in horrid concave/convex condition.I lapped mine but good.When I got it,it (the base) was in truly excellent condish.

The base was very flat,but I wanted more,so I lapped it.

As always,YMMV...

Back