• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reccomend me a good RAM cooling solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FastRedPonyCar

I've killed 2 sticks of ram since building my PC. my computer room gets pretty hot and there's really no way to re-position my PC for better air flow...it gets as much as it can anyways.

Until now, I was using the 2 sticks of ram in the slots right next to each other. About a month or so after it was built, the machine started throwing up a random black screen flickering, games would lock up then the pc would eventually start locking up. Thought it was the video card so I RMA'd that and it did the same thing when the new card was installed. It got to the point where when I'd reboot, the pc wouldn't post and the error led indicator on the back of the mobo said bad ram.

Ran mem test and all kinds of errors came up. I pulled one stick and no errors. I rma'd the set of ram and the new set worked fine for another month or so until it started doing the same damn thing. I noticed when I pulled the side panel off my case and put a small oscillating fan pointing at the motherboard up against the case, the flickering stopped and would only cause problems in games.

Monday I got my 3rd set of sticks of the same ram listed in my sig only this time, rather than putting them in the slots right next to each other, I put one in the first slot and the other in slot 3.

I've still got the fan pointing in the case and I'm hesitant to put the side panel back on. The MSI forum guys say they haven't heard of any of the 650/680i boards eating ram so I'm thinking they just got too hot becuase when I pulled the sticks the first time, the heatsinks were REALLY hot.

I'm running the voltage at 2.25 (advertised at running 5-5-5-15 @ 2.3. I was running it at 2.3 but don't think that would have hurt it??

I've got the ram timings set to auto in the bios and for the OC, I've got the FSB set to 1400mhz and the multiplier at 9X yielding a 3.15ghz clock speed.

Although the ram is rated at 1066, the bios post screen says it's running at around 800mhz. :confused:

So anyways, I don't know if there's something with my overclock that the ram doesn't dig or if it's just the heat that wore it out. I can't afford to continue to RMA this ram becuase since it's a dual stick kit, I have to send BOTH sticks back and be without a computer for 2 1/2 weeks.

Do you guys think it's just the heat or something else?

Oh and in the event that it's the heat getting to the ram, what are some good ram coolers?

The ocz one looks badass and looks like it's large enough to cover both sticks better than the thermaltake or corsair cooler.

AFAIK the corsair directs air over all 4, The ocz is nice.If you like the blingy look.

How about some of these:

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_hr07_duo.htm
hr-07-duo4.jpg

They are a little bit pricey, but snazy!

I've used a fan with a side panel hole and sometimes I used a 80mm fan mounted inside or near the drive bays blowing directly or across the modules.Seemed to work fine for me.

I run case less so it is very easy for me I just lay a 120mm fan on the ram =)
But I think with some rubber bands/zipties you could find a way to get a fan on the ram .

Meh, I ordered the OCZ cooler.

Zip ties and rubber bands were fly back when I couldn't afford real cooling solutions...such as this that I made for my old ATI 9700pro...man what a great card!

IMG_1909.jpg

But since I can afford to do it right, I may as well spend a little $$ and have some bling.

Well in this case strapping an 80mm fan on is the right way to do it imho. That OCZ cooler has two small fans that can't push much air and an incredibly restrictive grill. Its still ages better than nothing, but ghetto-rigging would probably offer better performance.

Back