• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR5 Ram timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
So I've got a set of G.Skill P5 DDR5 6000 ram. (32 GB)

It says 6000mhz on the box with cam timings of 36-36-36-96...

..but I'm actually on 2400mhz with 40-40-40=77

Should I switch to the settings on the box? Or just leave it at the settings the motherboard threw up there?

Which is actually faster?

ram_timings.jpg

So, your PC, the CPU/platform, has a maximum speed of DDR5-4800 (newer is faster). The base speed is DDR5-2800.
When your PC boots for the first time/at default settings, it uses the much slower, but 'guaranteed' to be stable/functional JEDEC profile. XMP, is technically overclocking (assuming the XMP profile is faster than the platform max)........it's overclocking the IMC (integrated memory controller) on the processor. So you have to enable that functionality by turning on the XMP profile in the BIOS.

Your RAM sticks have profiles on them, Typically a JEDEC (org that sets microelc standards, such as this) profile or two, and XMP profile or two (AMD has this too, called AMP/EXPO). If you download CPUz and look at the SPD tab and select a stick, the fields will populate and you can see what I'm talking about. But you enable XMP and you run the speed and timings in the profile. Here's a picture of mine below. I have XMP enabled, AND tweaked the timings down from the profile. ;)

Screenshot 2024-03-26 075951.png Screenshot 2024-03-26 080501.png

Enable XMP in BIOS.

So, your PC, the CPU/platform, has a maximum speed of DDR5-4800 (newer is faster). The base speed is DDR5-2800.
When your PC boots for the first time/at default settings, it uses the much slower, but 'guaranteed' to be stable/functional JEDEC profile. XMP, is technically overclocking (assuming the XMP profile is faster than the platform max)........it's overclocking the IMC (integrated memory controller) on the processor. So you have to enable that functionality by turning on the XMP profile in the BIOS.

Your RAM sticks have profiles on them, Typically a JEDEC (org that sets microelc standards, such as this) profile or two, and XMP profile or two (AMD has this too, called AMP/EXPO). If you download CPUz and look at the SPD tab and select a stick, the fields will populate and you can see what I'm talking about. But you enable XMP and you run the speed and timings in the profile. Here's a picture of mine below. I have XMP enabled, AND tweaked the timings down from the profile. ;)

View attachment 365590View attachment 365591

THANKS, guys! Very quick and informative.

HWInfo actually shows the exact same info with the voltages and everything.

(I was going to download CPU-Z... which I haven't even googled in 10 years... just for the sake of brotherhood... but then I made some tea instead. Work/life balance!)

ram_timings_XMP.jpg

So now I'm at 6000Mhz! Woohoo! Took all of about ten seconds to do... including the reboot. (The tea took a little longer.)

Back