• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need 20"+ Widescreen LCD with 24-bit color

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

I'm looking for a 20"+ LCD (preferably 24") that supports the full 16.7 million colors (24-bit truecolor), not a TN panel.

Where is the best bang for the buck here?

I'm looking for the same thing... so far the Dell 24" is looking like the best option, except I don't like Dell and have seen several screens come with dead pixels at work....

Ah I could go for a nice 20"

I looked at the guide for LCD terms and it was horribly outdated though

I just ordered a Philips 200WP7ES 20" Widescreen, it supposedly has the same S-IPS pane found in certain Dell 2007WFP monitors as well.

The Philips was much cheaper than the Dell.

dan

Personally I am a fan of Samsung's LCDs. Futureshop has a Samsung 20 inch Widescreen on sale for 249.99CAD. Link

Also a 22" Widescreen for 299.99. Link

*EDIT* Not sure what your budget is, but a quality 22" for 299.99CAD is a good deal (Best bang for your buck)

Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Personally I am a fan of Samsung's LCDs. Futureshop has a Samsung 20 inch Widescreen on sale for 249.99CAD. Link

Also a 22" Widescreen for 299.99. Link

*EDIT* Not sure what your budget is, but a quality 22" for 299.99CAD is a good deal (Best bang for your buck)

Just my 2 cents. :)

Unfortunately both monitors you linked have 6 bit panels, and he's looking for 8 bit panels ;).

dan

well I'm not the OP and I don't want to hijack the thread but how about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824001094

That's right in the $200 price range that I'm looking for, is it a TN panel and what is the deal with 6/8bit... I want it for gaming and programming (aka dual monitor setup)

EDIT: Ah I see it listed as a TN/TFT panel, what's so bad about these?

how can you tell and what's the difference?

its not the type of panel that makes the difference its the spec of colors listed. if its listed at 16.2mill thats a 6bit panel, if its 16.7mill thats a 8bit panel, yes the one you listed is a 8bit panel.

i have a older 6bit tn, sammy 740b, looking at other panels. while i see some difference imo its not worth the high price they ask for them.

EDIT: Ah I see it listed as a TN/TFT panel, what's so bad about these?

The problem is that they can't ¨naturally¨ display some colors in the in the 8 bit palette, they are limited to 6 bit. BUT using some special algorithms they can display the rest, and that's how they make up and end up displaying all colors in the end.

AFAIK the catch is that using these algorithms, you can get some subtle artifacts or plain low fidelity when displaying some tones. TN panels are cheaper than the 8 bit panels, IPS, MVA and such.

There's really nothing wrong with them, one can perfectly be satisfied with a TN monitor.

Evilsizer said:
its not the type of panel that makes the difference its the spec of colors listed. if its listed at 16.2mill thats a 6bit panel, if its 16.7mill thats a 8bit panel, yes the one you listed is a 8bit panel.

I disagree. You can claim whichever amount of colors you like with a TN panel because you will be able to achieve it with dithering, but that doesn't make it an 8 bit panel in any way. I personally have never heard about ¨8bit¨ TN panels as you say, and I doubt they exist as well.

The monitor he listed has a 6bit TN panel BTW.

dan

Last edited:
AFAIK the catch is that using these algorithms, you can get some subtle artifacts or plain low fidelity when displaying some tones. TN panels are cheaper than the 8 bit panels, IPS, MVA and such.

dan

as many other people have noted about LCD's TN's are not always 6bit as you say. the key point about finding a 8bit TN panel is in my post above.

*edit*
i now see that i left out the part that you can find TN in 8bit, i just said by looking at the number of colors.

I guess Samsung's site lies? LINK

Says 16.7 for both LCDs..

You might want to instruct yourself, as it seems you don't yet realize the real issue here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/6bit_8bit.htm

#

All TN Film panels = Dithering. Some are 6-bit with FRC, some are 6-bit extended to 9-bit and figure as 8-bit in the specs (or 16.7 million colours). More modern panels seem to be the latter, look for "16.7 million colours" quoted in specs.
#

PVA Traditional = 8-Bit
#

PVA + Overdrive = Dithering, 6-Bit +FRC
#

S-PVA + Overdrive = Still real 8-bit
#

MVA Traditional = 8-Bit
#

19" and below MVA + Overdrive = dithering, but not as obvious as with PVA + Overdrive
#

>19" MVA + Overdrive = real 8-bit
#

S-IPS Traditional = 8-Bit
#

New S-IPS panels + Overdrive = No obvious issues
#

AS-IPS = 8 bit, not heard any reports of colour issues on these

dan

Last edited:
Back