• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R670 aka R680 in our future?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ECH

Source
There has been a lot posts about a dual RV670 and it appears this maybe true after all. It's named 2950 X2 and will have 2 gpus (configuration is unclear). If it does reach 20,000 Marks in 3D06 it will be a bencher's dream come true. No eta is given at this time.

Last edited:
It's the wait and see game right now. Hopefully all is true.

I hope they dont launch it until feb of next year with christmass so close i will be broke before and after for a couple of months.

Hope this ain't some kind of BS to get my hopes up.

Comes in Q1 2008

ATI's new high end will have two RV670 chips and has many codenames. Some of the ones we've head includes R670 and R680 but lets simply call it dual RV670.

The new card will be able to score an amazing score of 960GigaFlops. This is a bit more than a double the performance of R600 chip which can score 474GigaFlops.

Looks like ATI's next generation high end card with dual RV670 will give Nvidia something to worry about, but Nvidia's next year's high end will also have two chips on two PCBs.

ATI's approach is to have two chips on a single PCB.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3372&Itemid=1

Dual RV670 card consumes less power than one R600, breaks 1 TFLOPS?
Written by Andreas G 03 October 2007 10:41

Yesterday we were told quite a lot about the coming dual-GPU version of RV670. If you didn't know about it from before; ATI has plans for a dual-GPU card using two RV670 GPUs. A few days ago we reported about the low, low power consumption of this chip, and this has been confirmed by other sites. The power consumption (104-132 W) is actually roughly half of what R600 consumes (240 W) and it seems that ATI is actually aiming to create a dual-GPU card that will consumes less power than the current Radeon HD 2900 XT. However we were told that this was with frequencies below the 825 MHz, which the GPU of RV670 XT will run at.

At the same time ATI has set it sights for the prestigious 1 TFLOPS barrier. If ATI decides to launch the dual-RV670 with slightly higher frequencies the card will actually be able to break 1 TFLOPS, in theoretical performance, but then of course also consume more power. Both of these arguments are of course great PR for ATI, but it won't be able to use these until sometime during Q1 of 2008 when the card is suppose to arrive.

We're still waiting for confirmation on some details, but we may have some more deliciousness for you later on.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6882.html

Hmmmm now do these cards with dual GPU's on them run configs with SLI or Crossfire? Or does it act like 1 core basically just operations are split between the 2 cores?

Just curious because this might get me to upgrade if I truely need more GPU since we already know the newer cores coming out are 55nm process and they don't suck nearly as many watts for similar performacne to that of the 2900XT.

Speaking of watts...

They better bring the power consumption down to make these viable. I'm running a 620 and I have no inclination to replace it...ever.

Hmmmm now do these cards with dual GPU's on them run configs with SLI or Crossfire? Or does it act like 1 core basically just operations are split between the 2 cores?

Just curious because this might get me to upgrade if I truely need more GPU since we already know the newer cores coming out are 55nm process and they don't suck nearly as many watts for similar performacne to that of the 2900XT.

it would act like a single card with them designing the card to split the data on it's self.

afaik, the 1950 dual gpu card released by ......diamond? maybe sapphire, I don't remember.. actually ran as though it was a crossfire setup (the CCC panel detected it as crossfire)

Back