• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossman150

I am going to be building in a few weeks and this is what I am looking at buying.

Already purchased:

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Looking at buying:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S OEM BK - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106070
$30.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136074
$79.99

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130072
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$549.99

LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2S-04 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106095
$17.99

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813188013
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$214.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115017
Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817182069
-$20.00 Instant -$30.00 Combo
$382.98

I like the idea of eventally going SLI so I am 95% sure on that mobo, and on the processor. Any suggestions?

I'd rather have a P35 chipset personnaly, but that's up to you. Also, I think the GTX isn't worth the 200 dollars more than the 640mb GTS. I'd save the 200 get the GTS then sell the GTS when the 9 series is out and use that cash and the 200 to get the new GTS.

Small nit-pick would be choosing a seagate HDD over the WD, but that's not that big of a deal

Don't buy the Rosewill PSU, go with a brand like PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Seasonic, or Silverstone.

Other than that, the rest of the system looks good.

So should I go with:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Crossfire Edition) EPS12V 750W Power Supply (10$ cheaper then the black one)

I was only paying about $105 for the Rosewill with the combo deal, worth the extra money? $170 for the PCPAC one.

do you really need 750W? do you have that much to power?

if the rosewill is indeed a good performing 750W, it's a bargain at $105.
the PCP&C is probably a more definite choice from a solid brand. it comes with a price tag though.

I would personally go with the rosewill. it'll save $65 and i really think they're trying to make a good name for themselves these days. do what you want though. this is more of a judgement call. FWIW the psu in my sig has held up nicely for about 5 months.

dump the AC freezer 7 pro and go with a much better heatsink, quad cores put out some serious heat an that freezer 7 is gona top out really fast, also, that rosewill PSU is junk, for the sake of not having your PC go nuclear on you, get something top of the line, like Seasonic, Ultra, Thermaltake, Enhance, etc.

dump the AC freezer 7 pro and go with a much better heatsink, quad cores put out some serious heat an that freezer 7 is gona top out really fast...
i was thinking the same thing. they're not that great. if you plan on doing any good OCing, it won't be enough. i didn't comment though since it's already bought.

...also, that rosewill PSU is junk, for the sake of not having your PC go nuclear on you, get something top of the line, like Seasonic, Ultra, Thermaltake, Enhance, etc.
did you read the review or at least skip to the conclusions? it's fine by jonnyguru which makes it fine by me. how do you stand behind some of what he says but ignore the rest of it, spawne? the review says that ultra and rosewill use the same OEM for this model. that kind of speaks for itself. it got 5 eggs for 11 reviews. do you have another source that says it's junk besides the name?

i was thinking the same thing. they're not that great. if you plan on doing any good OCing, it won't be enough. i didn't comment though since it's already bought.

did you read the review or at least skip to the conclusions? it's fine by jonnyguru which makes it fine by me. how do you stand behind some of what he says but ignore the rest of it, spawne? the review says that ultra and rosewill use the same OEM for this model. that kind of speaks for itself. it got 5 eggs for 11 reviews. do you have another source that says it's junk besides the name?

Oh my apologys, i missed that.

fair statement. they do make some cheap stuff. this is a nice psu though.

actually if your interested, i have their Z5 Ultra, the goofy lookin transformer one, that im testing and review atm, unfortunately they have to send me a replacement to the review sample due to fan damage.

do you really need 750W? do you have that much to power?

if the rosewill is indeed a good performing 750W, it's a bargain at $105.
the PCP&C is probably a more definite choice from a solid brand. it comes with a price tag though.

I would personally go with the rosewill. it'll save $65 and i really think they're trying to make a good name for themselves these days. do what you want though. this is more of a judgement call. FWIW the psu in my sig has held up nicely for about 5 months.

If I ever get a second 8800gtx I would need the 750 watts. I really don't want to have to change PSUs if I decide to go that way.

That said, if I skip the combo I would get the q6600 from clubit to make sure I get one with GO stepping. Newegg won't gurantee that. I know that PCPaC psu gets great reviews on most forums, so I might go with that.

As for the freezer, check out this review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article285-page5.html

It cools just as well as the other heatsinks in the test at 100%. I don't care about a little noise I just care about keeping the cpu cool. I plan to OC to about 3.2-3.4ghz and from that review and others I think it will do fine. It also only set me back $20 lol. So if I do end up wanting to go higher it would not be a big deal to dump it for something better.

Ok I decided to go with the Abit IP35 Pro. I hope I don't regret not going with an Nvdia SLI mobo lol. I liked the feedback in the IP35 though. Now I just need the PSU (leaning toward the PCPaC 750) processor which unless something changes in a couple weeks will be the Q6600 and the biggest piece money wise the video card. I am hoping the 8800gtx/ultras will drop when the 8800GT is introduced at the end of the month.

Edit I just realixed I don't need the silencer 750 since I won't be doing SLI. I need to do more research again lol.

Ok I decided to go with the Abit IP35 Pro. I hope I don't regret not going with an Nvdia SLI mobo lol. I liked the feedback in the IP35 though. Now I just need the PSU (leaning toward the PCPaC 750) processor which unless something changes in a couple weeks will be the Q6600 and the biggest piece money wise the video card. I am hoping the 8800gtx/ultras will drop when the 8800GT is introduced at the end of the month.

Edit I just realixed I don't need the silencer 750 since I won't be doing SLI. I need to do more research again lol.

totally understand you wanting the 750 for going sli. i'm not going to get into that whole sli vs. no-sli here. but if you get the ip35, you won't be able to go sli without a motherboard change. just something i wanted to point out.

Back