• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bets agp ati card in x..... series for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheece2001

which ati card out there has really good overclocking potential in the xseries for agp? like i don't want to spend the a ton of money for the best card... i just want something that i can clock it very good getting the most out of my money. like clocking somehting that is almost midrange to the best card or close to it.

x1950 pro, but if you wanna get the most out of your moeny but a mobo that supports pci-e :)

A videocard and a CPU are two totally differnt things. You can OC a budget 80 dollar cpu to perform at the level of a 250 dollar cpu, but there is a MAJOR difference in videocards. You can just OC a midranged card and expect it to perform at a highend level. OCing only goes so far on videocards.

IMO, I don't think a top end card like an x1950 is worthwhile on an AGP platform.

Noting from your sig, You're running a P4 at about 3ghz. So that's fairly similiar to my last socket A rig, a DFI Nforce2 board with a mobile barton clocked at 2.6ghz with 2x512mb TCCD at DDR500. I had an X800XL back then, and I really think that the card was being held back by the memory and the CPU.

I was looking at some of the performance numbers that an X800XL PCI-E pulls in the reviews, and they're quite a bit higher than mine on an old AGP rig. Thats not so say you won't have any improvement, but it's probably more worthwhile to save for a platform upgrade (or maybe go shopping on the forums and buy something older second hand, like a 6800GS or X800XL or something).

Back