• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This O/C temp Ok? e6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpassino

Registered
I have an Intel e6400 2.13ghz O/C'd to 3.21ghz.
It's quite stable and I'm very happy with the performance. I'm able to Run an Unreal tournament server, Teamspeak Server, Teamspeak Client, Star Wars Jedi Knight II server, and 2 instances of City of heroes while playing winamp in the background with no lag/slow downs. I've been using this O/C setup for a while now, but recently been concerned with the temps.

Is the below temp OK, or am I going to kill my cpu?

Idle: 39-42c
95-100% Load: 59*C-63C (hasn't gone over 63C even during hot summer days)

BUILD:

Asus P5B-Deluxe
Intel E6400 Dual Core (2.13ghz @ 3.21ghz)
Zalman 9700 110mm Cooling Fan/Heatsink
nVidia 8800gts 640mb PCI-E
SILVERSTONE SST-ST56ZF ATX12V / EPS12V 560Watts Power Supply
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

here is CPU-z and Core Temp Screenshots

cpu.jpg

Thanks for letting me know if I'm killing my cpu. LOL

Ok well I'm a dumb nOOb! <--- looks at his signature and agrees.

I had my case fans BACKWARDS!! lol

I decided to open up the case and can-o-air this baby, and decided, lets put a tissue near the fans and see if they are sucking or pushing.. sure enough they were pushing.
I'm guessing they needed to suck the hot air OUT of the case. LOL

I turned the fans the right way, turned on my temp program, and sure enough, the idle went from 39C-42C to 31C-33C and the 100% load went from 59C-63C to 49C-51C.

!!!!!!!!!!

LOL It made about a 10C change.. Ok.. once again..

<---Learning nOOb!

Ok well I'm a dumb nOOb! <--- looks at his signature and agrees.

I had my case fans BACKWARDS!! lol

I decided to open up the case and can-o-air this baby, and decided, lets put a tissue near the fans and see if they are sucking or pushing.. sure enough they were pushing.
I'm guessing they needed to suck the hot air OUT of the case. LOL

I turned the fans the right way, turned on my temp program, and sure enough, the idle went from 39C-42C to 31C-33C and the 100% load went from 59C-63C to 49C-51C.

!!!!!!!!!!

LOL It made about a 10C change.. Ok.. once again..

<---Learning nOOb!
Just to make sure, you have the ones in the front blowing air in and the rear as exhaust? Then any fans on top would blow out and any on the side panel would be intake.

To InkFX: Yes, it's making a steady stream of air now.. Front In / Side In / Back Out.

To Dennis1991z: I am using a Zalman 9700 110m Heatsink. I don't have liquid cooling or anything.

So yeah if 51C is acceptable for a 1080mhz gain, I'm happy. :)

Just remember I'm going from a basic E6400 2.13ghz to 3.21ghz using just a Zalman 9700.

To remember, air gets sucked in the side that doesn't support the motor ;)

well for the heck of it, I just bought this to fit in 3 of my front Bezels...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185020

reviews say the actual fan blades aren't anything to write home about, but i think it'll give a bit of a helping hand in the cooloing department. It'll be aimed directly at my Zalman, so it'll be sucking cooler air through it and out the back... and nice flow I think.

I'm also going to be getting the PCI slot fan cooler that will be placed with under my 8800GTS to help push out heat the vid card makes.

Good case ventilation is the first step towards better cooling. :)

I used to have a Vantec PCI slot cooler and loved it. I have no idea where I put it so I'll probably end up buying another one. Newegg carries it for pretty cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888112

Oh that one you're looking at doesn't have an exhaust. It just pushing air around inside the case.

I was looking at getting two of these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999704

On on the bottom and the top of the 8800gts to have a completely air cone around the card to suck out.

Doesn't really phase me since I have my side panels off all the time. I just love the large amount of air that thing can move when you get it up to full speed.

I have an Intel e6400 2.13ghz O/C'd to 3.21ghz.
It's quite stable and I'm very happy with the performance. I'm able to Run an Unreal tournament server, Teamspeak Server, Teamspeak Client, Star Wars Jedi Knight II server, and 2 instances of City of heroes while playing winamp in the background with no lag/slow downs. I've been using this O/C setup for a while now, but recently been concerned with the temps.

Is the below temp OK, or am I going to kill my cpu?

Idle: 39-42c
95-100% Load: 59*C-63C (hasn't gone over 63C even during hot summer days)

BUILD:

Asus P5B-Deluxe
Intel E6400 Dual Core (2.13ghz @ 3.21ghz)
Zalman 9700 110mm Cooling Fan/Heatsink
nVidia 8800gts 640mb PCI-E
SILVERSTONE SST-ST56ZF ATX12V / EPS12V 560Watts Power Supply
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

After turning the Exhaust fan the right way (derrrrr).....

OK, I just installed http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185020 . New Temps...

Idle 27C-29C
Load: 44-46C

I went ahead and Bumped up another 120mhz, and I'm back to 50-51C under load.. which I'm ok with... but you said something about having the side case panel off. Would that Help me as well or would it screw up the air flow current?

EDIT: Nevermind, I tried it with the side panel off and it dropped my temps about 4-6C LOL
It seems 3328mhz is the highest I can get. The temps at 100% are still about 51C, however... Orthos sends out a failure warning if I go higher than 3328mhz. I'm at...

416 * 8 @ 1.325v

Even if I bumped up the voltage it still error'd me out. Am I pretty much at the max OC ability for the E6400?

Last edited:
Back