• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C'ing a Radeon VE worth the trouble?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JzAr

I have a Radeon VE which doesn't even come with a fan on it, only has a black ceramic heatsink. Has anyone had any success trying to overclock this card? And if you had what kind of cooling do you recomend? Thanx

P.S. This is just untill I save up my money to buy a 8500

Beware of overclocking any video cards that donh't have active (fan) cooling!!

With that said, radeon cards tend to run a bit cooler than nvidia, so some gains could be seen. User powerstrip or radeon tweaker available through the link in my signature below.

well since I had "soo many replies to my thread" I went ahead and downloaded R3D Tweak and overclocked my vid card to 202.5/202.5 stock was at 182.3/182.3 is this good? It hasn't frozen up or done anything funny. Oh yea I didn't even put a fan or extra sinks on it. One of my case colling fans hits it pretty good.
Should I go for more speed and put some sinks on it or what?
Ill be patiently waiting for your replies:D

AMD T-Bird 1133mhz @ 1400mhz (140x10) 45c full load
Soyo Dragon Plus 256mb corsair pc2400
Maxtor 45Gig 7200rpm
Cendyne DVD 16x40x
TDK veloCD 24x10x40x
ATi Radeon VE (8500 comin soon)
SBPCI512(Audigy comin soon)

JzAr said:
well since I had "soo many replies to my thread" I went ahead and downloaded R3D Tweak and overclocked my vid card to 202.5/202.5 stock was at 182.3/182.3 is this good? It hasn't frozen up or done anything funny. Oh yea I didn't even put a fan or extra sinks on it. One of my case colling fans hits it pretty good.
Should I go for more speed and put some sinks on it or what?
Ill be patiently waiting for your replies:D

Maxtor 45Gig 7200rpm
Cendyne DVD 16x40x
TDK veloCD 24x10x40x

Nice overclock try for a tiny bit more you will know if you pushed it too much.

Then run 3D Mark2K1 to see how much your score improves from default setting.

Cisco kid;)

daddyloy said:
I also own a radeon ve and I think its a lemon I hope you guys keep off this card! I tried Power strip no help.

Your right, its the lemon of the Radeon family for sure.

Well I managed to successfully o/c the Radeon VE to 207(mem)/211.5(GPU) with no extra cooling. My 3DMark2001 score is 2404. Is this good or bad? Oh yea, one more thing, what is usually set higher when o/c'ing a vid card. The GPU clock speed or the Memory clock speed?

Maxtor 45Gig 7200rpm
Cendyne DVD 16x40x
TDK veloCD 24x10x40x

I had a chance to compare a TNT2 Ultra (old, I know) with a VE64 on the same system, and while I don't remember the exact numbers, the TNT2 was right there with the VE (OUCH!).

I've read that its a good card for "business apps" and has good dual head support but is an absolute dog when it comes to anything 3D related (especially gaming). Even A Geforce2 MX will smoke that thing.

I have one layin' around, I'm thinking about making a keychain out of the GPU.

Its the 32mb DDR. But know that I switched over from WinME to XP heres my successful o/c=207/189 with no extra sinks or fan. My 3dmark went down to 2310 also. Im using the latest beta drivers(6.13.10.6011). Anyone know why the score went down. I thought XP was supposed to be better.

Y beat down the little guys?

I too have a Radeon VE 32MB DDR (5.5ns), it cost me $47.00 (it's OEM) plus $7 SH. I don't play all that much 3D games but do use Direct 3D often (in AOEII) in which the Radeon VE actually does better then a MX.

Although it is true, IMHO, a MX card will beat the crap out of this card in most 3D benchmarks, there are a few that the VE is better at. As far as TNT2 vrs VE, I think the TNT2 cards were- and still are a great product. In the benchmarks I have seen, the TNT2 will come close to VE but in 32bit at higher res, the VE will start pulling quite ahead of the older card.

I wanted something that had good 2D quality and TV out with built in DVD but still could handle any game I gave it. This fit the bill and cost was easy to swallow. The fact that I can put two monitors on it was added gravy. The balance that ATI found with this card was exactly right for me. One of the best "bang for the buck" card I have ever bought.

If your interested in more info on this card here are a couple of good articles.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1421
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q1/010316/index.html

Power Strip doesn't seem to work with this card. I will be trying Radeon Tweaker and see how it goes.

Does anyone know where I can get a Flash program and Rom Image for the Retail version of this Card? I got a feeling that the Flash program for the Radeons will prob work but I still need a retail image. Any help would be welcomed.

Pinky and Tracert,

I uploaded the Flash files to your Pinky's Linky's

I also Have a different one that you can customize.

I'll upload that one as well in a moment

Cool, but I won't be able to move it until I get home/online later (currently at work)...

If you have a link that would be more useful to tracert now... :)

Back