• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C'ing a Radeon VE worth the trouble?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did some work with ocing my VE and... Wow. This little thing was begging me for it.

166Mhz Memory (stupid OEM's are slower then retail) up to 184.3, I can go higher with this, much higer, but it will start producing artifacts so I stop here.

The story with the core is even better. 166 Mhz to 200Mhz. This little guy oced like a good boy should. I think I could go more with better cooling but that is for another time if I want to take the time (I may end up buying an OEM 8500).

Now for the driver settings. I use the drivers from Madonion's web site which is the 6032 Beta drivers & Rage 3D Tweak. The trick, at least for my machine, was to leave everything alone from install except for the core and Mem Mhz.

Order went like this. Install drivers (don't touch any settings). Install Rage 3D Tweak. Go to overclock and only touch the Mhz. I learned this the hard way and ended up uninstalling and installing 3 times to make sure I was right. Even if you click the little "default" button it will change a setting somewhere that will cause worse performance. One thing I noticed was the memory latency was show as ??? but after hitting default button it would say something like normal. Even trying any setting wouldn't help but just make the card less stable. But with a fresh install and no changes, you I get much better results. Let me know if anyone else notices this.

When I first started I was getting scores in the low 1100's OCing my card put it on par with a MX200 for my system at 1363.

Last edited:
My engine went further than my memory on my 8500LE. Read up on the new 128MB 8500s that just came out before you buy. They might be worth a shot. I started a thread and hopefully some people who have them will reply.

Back