• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8600GTS = Trash ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NettieZoom

I just built the kids a new rig, i received a used 8600GTS from work for free so atleast i did not actually waste a bunch of cash on it.

It is a MSI NX8600GTS 256mb.

This card doesnt even perform aswell as a 7900GS in most cases (which costs half as much), i just wanted to warn anyone thinking of saving some cash and going for this card to avoid it period :)

Yup, there have been many reports stating it is a very low end card ;)

8600GTS kinda stinks for the money. It's barely 20% faster than an 8600GT but costs around 50% more.

In my mind, they should called it the 8600GT, made the current 8600GT a GS or vanilla 8600.. They probably lured a few suckers in who confused it with the 8800GTS though..

Thideras, I wouldn't call it a 'very low end card,' I'd reserve that for the 8400GS or similar cards.. I'd label 8600GTS a 'bottom of the midrange' card. At 1280x1024 it gets decent FPS..

It is nowhere near as bad as a 7600, like i said above it performs a little below the 7900 though it does beat the 7900 when it comes down to direct x 10 games ofcourse since the 7900 does not support it.

I played MOH AA for a bit and it got better then 10-20fps by far but it was nothing like playing on my 8800gts, maybe it is your cpu or ram....

The card is simply not worth the price it is selling at in my opinion.

I played MOH AA for a bit and it got better then 10-20fps by far but it was nothing like playing on my 8800gts, maybe it is your cpu or ram....

Id hope everything smashes fps on MOHAA *allied assualt* haha.. MOHA *airboune* is pretty intense with a bunch of stuff going on.. time to upgrade my 7900gt cuz i had to drop my res =(

i had a friend pick up the 8500gt 512mb at frys becuase he was desperate and wanted a card to play wiht badly at the time *i think 2 months ago* but he mostly likes games like wow, so i figured it would be ok, *tho if it where me, i woulda looked for a used 7900*.. then i had a friend i suggested the 8600gt I dont consider him a avid gamer*

I never really sat down to play on thier systems frankly cuz thier systems suck anyways lol but for what they do, those gpus should be sufficiant

Back