• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need upgrade opinion for gaming at 1080P on large disply...Geforce GTX-1060-1080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cswann821

Registered
Hi all,

I Figured out today that my 4 year old Radeon HD7970 is dead. It was an awesome card when I bought it and lasted me a long while. So I am Looking to replace it and upgrade. I currently Game on a 200" diagonal Screen Using my HD Projector at a native1080P @ 65hrz. IT IS AWESOME AND I LOVE IT!
I was looking at the GEFORCE GTX 1060-1080 series of GPU's. I purchased a GTX 1060 for my son and he likes it, but he really isnt as anal when it comes to Picture quality and uses an 27" monitor, not that Ive seen the 1060 perform really. He plays...mind craft and H1z1, where as I am into more story / graphic intense games like the Witcher series, Tomb-raider, ARK, ect. I was thinking of splurging a little more for myself and getting a GTX1080, but think it may be overkill or a waste of cash since I only game at the moment in 1080P. I'd like to game on a 4k display but I don't see myself going to a smaller screen, or being able to afford a 5,000-9,000 dollar 4K projector anytime soon. Pretty much Sony has the market for True 4K projectors and I don't think prices will be coming down for another year or 2 at the VERY least. I do however see myself getting a VR head set in the future.

This being said...Should I go with the 1080 and hope it last a good 3-4 years, really in hopes that a more affordable 4K projector comes while the card is still viable? Is the Geforce GTX1080 so much MORE superior even when just running at 1080P than say the Geforce 1060-1070, that it justifies the extra 200.00 or so dollars. OR should I just get a 1060 or 1070.

Also, What Manufacturer does everyone tend to go with? MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA...ect?? I usually go with MSI because the their cards look cooler. Not sure if there is really a quality difference between the different companies, or who generally comes out with the better product?

Heres My current build it would be going into.

MOUNTAIN MOD UFO CASE
3 Fan XSPC Radiator with Apogee HD Block watercooling
I5 Devils Canyon 4960K
MB=ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97
Ram=G-skill Sniper 1866. 9-10-9-28. 2 x 8GB
GPU = MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5
PSU=CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
Win10 x 64 running on Crucial M4 250gb SSD
1 x Western Digital Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB

Thanks,
Chris

What also just dawn on me...and why I should probably just go with the GTX1060 or 1070...is my projectors refresh is 65hrtz. Which means i wont really be able to use the higher FPS that the 1080 may be able to offer?? Although if I use V-sync The matched / caped FPS/refresh rates between the GPU and projector would then allow more power to go to other things such as graphic quality correct?..... which is a reason why I'd want the 1080...dang it.

Based on my own arguments, watching performance videos and price...I'm going with a GTX 1070.

For 1080p a GTX 1080 is bragging rights, not any noticeable improvement in performance. Some people want 874 fps playing Minecraft, and that's OK, but a 1070 will handle max settings for games on 1080p for quite a while. It really is one heck of a card. My display is a 43" 1080p and my 1070 is a monster at that resolution. An RX 480 will provide good fps at that resolution, a 1070 owns it.

An RX 480 will provide good fps at that resolution, a 1070 owns it.
+1 If I had the money I would have went for the 1070. To have some vacation savings left I had to decide between the 1060 and 480. A friend of mine has the EVGA 1070 and is happy about it and I would have went with the EVGA 1060 or Palit super jetstream (to answer the question what brand you should go to).

Everything above a 1070 for 1080p gaming is just an overkill.

AMD 470 or 480 is 'enough' for 1080p. 1070 will be nice.

The reason I wouldn't include a 1060 into the mix is why support Nvidia they don't need it at this point in time. If Nvidia was ever the underdog I'd suggest them too.

The industry needs compeition and if the underdog is waaaaay down right now but offers a great solution at a certain pricepoint it only seems logical to buy it. Unless of course you only play games where AMD falls down, which in reality are a tiny number.

That's if you give a crap about the industry of course. :D

Last edited:
No way I'd go 470 for 1080p and expect it to last...none.

480 if you want to support amd, but 1070 is what I would get if you want the card to last as you did your 7970.

Lol, saul... trying to guilt people into buying amd... :rofl:

No way I'd go 470 for 1080p and expect it to last...none.

480 if you want to support amd, but 1070 is what I would get if you want the card to last as you did your 7970.

Lol, saul... trying to guilt people into buying amd... :rofl:

Was laughing as I typed it - Buy something you don't want to help my wants for the industry. Not selfish at all!!@ :rofl:

Was laughing as I typed it - Buy something you don't want to help my wants for the industry. Not selfish at all!!@ :rofl:

Hahahahaha! I would've gotten a 480 just because I haven't used a radeon card since like the EARLY 90s and I'd like to have one for a collector's item. :D But I wound up getting a 960 instead. (1060 was just out of my price range...)

That's funny, as a RX 48 stomps the 960, beats the 1060, and is likely to just increase its lead with driver improvements. It will likely end up throwing rocks (from a safe distance) at the GTX 1070. ATI/Radeon has had some very good cards since the 90s. Not sure where that comes from.

GTX 1060 is the go to GPU for 1080p. If you want the extra VRAM and more performance to last you longer, GTX 1070. I agree, the GTX 1080 is overkill for what you're looking for.

I should note, I would maybe wait for AMDs/Nvidia's release. Not sure what's being released exactly other than tons of speculation but the existing GPU's will sell for less. That's if you're willing to wait. ;)

Back