• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI What a joke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

After being a faithful Nvidia user for years, Im glad Ive made that one decision right at least.

What total POS any ATI GPU Ive ever touched.

Case in point.....

Putting a ATI X1650pro in my main rig in the sig (for benching and giggles), and the driver software is all so difficult, buggy, and problematic.

Ive been trying to install the drivers for...I dunno...90 mins? LOL

The disk says its missing the INF file. I downloaded the approrpriate driver from ATI and it says no video driver found (I guess it needs a driver in place allready to replace it?!?!?!?!). I downloaded an update from a driver website I use in pinches (www.driveragent.com its actually quite spot on 99% of the time) and the same BS - cannot locate driver.

Ive tried to let windows automatically install the driver and....NOTHING.

Just a big ? in my device manager.

Any ideas about this? Ive swapped out Nvidia cards ummm...I dunno....ALOT and never, not ever once had any nonsense like this before....

Thanks for listening to me vent. From my limited experience (this and 1 other card in 5 years) ATI is really crapola.

You switched from an Nvidia card to ATI you need to do a full system reformat/reinstall. Same for the other way around otherwise you have driver conflicts (even if you use driver cleaning programs). A clean install is the only way to switch back and forth between the two card companies without hassel.

You switched from an Nvidia card to ATI you need to do a full system reformat/reinstall. Same for the other way around otherwise you have driver conflicts (even if you use driver cleaning programs). A clean install is the only way to switch back and forth between the two card companies without hassel.

Not true ;) I went from ATI to nVidia to ATI to nVidia on some install within days of each other since I was testing some things. Not a single issue.

A full system reformat and install? As in.....format your hard drive and reinstall windows and install your backup?

No....Im sorry. If thats what you say needs to be done you are mistaken and way off base.

Ill check out that link now and see if that helps, but it looks like I aint benching with this thing tonite...or possibly ever LOL.

EDIT: No death, that particular driver set said there was no approrpriate GPU on my system....

Im running Win XP x64 and perhaps thats 'borking' things up a bit, but I havnt had ANY other problems with XP x64 drivers anywhere. I mean the x64 version has been out a looooong time and driver support is typically quite solid.

Not necessary at all....use drive cleaner pro and remove the old drivers in safe mode after you have completely uninstall the old driver via control panel, reboot and install new drivers, that's it !

Last edited:
I've had this problem before, inf file not found or something. I wish I could tell you how I solved it, I ended up bringing the computer in to a local shop and they made a fool out of me. They kept saying I was installing the wrong drivers and I was convinced I had the right ones, following the steps that you said.

I really wish i remember what the solution was. :bang head

I've had this problem before, inf file not found or something. I wish I could tell you how I solved it, I ended up bringing the computer in to a local shop and they made a fool out of me. They kept saying I was installing the wrong drivers and I was convinced I had the right ones, following the steps that you said.

I've switched backwards from ATI to nVidia probably 50 times and have not had a problem, as I said make sure you completely uninstall and remove all traces of the old driver using drive cleaner pro or similiar

Hehe...so do I!!! :)

Shrug, was just gonna try to bring my hwbot points up some for me and OCF and figured pulling this card from a work computer and benching it would garner me some extra points. Oh well.

Maybe another time...like....in my next life when I actually use another ATI product! :bang head

I know a friend of mine is having a hell of a time finding decent drivers for his X1650 Pro and I had a few issues with my spare x700 Pro while I was waiting for EVGA to step me up to an 8800GT.

Not necessary at all....use drive cleaner pro and remove the old drivers in safe mode after you have completely uninstall the old driver via control panel, reboot and install new drivers, that's it !

Only in a perfect world.

On vista 64-bit and a driver uninstall + driver clean in safe mode, followed by installation of 8800 and nvidia drivers resulted in driver error conflicts and blue screens. Clean OS install with the same exact driver set and no issues thereafter.

I have had situations when a full reformat was in order when changing cards, most of the time its not needed.

to OP there's an issue your having and it has nothing to do with ATI

I have had situations when a full reformat was in order when changing cards, most of the time its not needed.

to OP there's an issue your having and it has nothing to do with ATI

What issue could I possibly have?

System runs like a champ with several other Nvidia cards. 8800 GTX, 8600 GT, and a 7600 GS.

System runs perfectly with any of those cards for gaming, benching (with max max OCing on all components) and day to day use.

Drivercleanerpro + manual removal of any Nvidia files/folders, removal of 8800 and put in 1650 ,boot to windows and install drivers.

Not that I am arguing with you Rattle, but what could possiblly be going on?

I ahve had issues going back and forth to 8800's, even with 7 series nvidia.

your probably gonna have to do a fresh install, and not cuz of the ATI but because of the 8800

Why do you suspect the 8800?

I was able to switch flawlessly between the other cards listed above, and between the 8800/8600 several times.

With that in mind, the preliminary evidence seems to support the 8800 NOT being implicated, but I certainly dont claim to understand the instricacies (sp?) of video drivers and their issues either.

when you dl'd from the ati site did you get the full catalyst software suite or just the diplay driver? i had the excact same problem on my neighbor's pc when i dl'd the display driver only and installed it. card didn't work like drivers were installed was like wtf? tried to reinstall gave me same message you got can not find compatible hardware. again was like wtf? i knew it was ati card. i looked in the add/remove programs list and there it was, ati display driver ,again was like wtf? uninstalled it, installed the catalyst software suite and rebooted. problem gone. don't know why it didn't work with just the display driver. but it got resolved so all is good.

another thing to try if that is unsuccesful is using the add new hardware option in the control panel. extract the drivers to a folder then just direct the add new hardware to search for drivers there. but make sure there is no ati anything in the add/remove programs list

Why do you suspect the 8800?

I was able to switch flawlessly between the other cards listed above, and between the 8800/8600 several times.

With that in mind, the preliminary evidence seems to support the 8800 NOT being implicated, but I certainly dont claim to understand the instricacies (sp?) of video drivers and their issues either.

because anytime I went to an 8800 from something other than an 8800 or back down to something else from an 8800 I always had the same issue.

because anytime I went to an 8800 from something other than an 8800 or back down to something else from an 8800 I always had the same issue.

Right. I understand that. But in my situation, I have not had that problem with the 8800. I went from 8800 to 8600 many times for benching/etc. I went from 8800 to 7600 as well, also with no problems.

Its only this one time with the ATI x1650 that this issue is arising, so given all of that information it doesn't seem to me that its an 8800 dependant issue.

At least from what I can see.

EDIT: Anyone else have any advice on getting this thing working?

I had the same problem with my x850Pro AGP, the driver install package wouldn't detect my card. I think I deleted it from Device Manger, then rebooted. I let the New Hardware Manger do it's thing - don't cancel any of that. Then the CCC/Driver pack installed, pretty sure it was after a reboot.

I didn't have any ATI in the Add/Remove list because it was a new build, but if you do I'd remove it too - as copernicus suggested.

Back