• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ubuntu cpu usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtis1552

My ubuntu 7.1 install is pulling 40% of my 2nd core on my X2 3800+ (no OC) and 4% of the 1st core. Whenever I resize a window or move a window it maxes the 2nd core and then flips the usage for a few seconds (1st core gets 40% and 2nd gets 4%) before returning to the original state.

I will say that I'm using a motherboard with an onboard Geforece 6100 chipset (512 shared RAM?) and 1.5 Gbs onboard RAM.

Has anyone else experienced this? It really lags and annoys me. My XP install doesn't even hog my CPU this much (although it pulls 800megs of RAM - ubuntu is at 250Mb)

Mine did that until I enabled the effects (using the graphics card instead of processor) and it will sit at 0 until I move a window, which will bring it up to 10% MAX.

Interesting, so with Compiz Fusion enabled CPU usage goes down? Too bad for the Windows folk Vista doesn't work like that.

I'm not very sure why your system was using so much processor power when just using Gnome. I know on KDE based distros I have never seen any such things without Beryl or Compiz running, and I know KDE is a bit heavier on resources than Gnome (at least until 4.0).

Well, it makes sense if you think anout it. It was using the cpu to cover for the GPU, thus running my cliock speed up. When I enabled the Nvidia drivers (off by default because they are not GNU) it allowed the GPU to run the displayu processing instead of the CPU. THus reducing dtrain on the CPU,

It's because the cpu was initially responsible for doing the desktop. When he turned on c-f, and open-gl, it sent the workload to the gpu and alleviating the problem.

Well, it makes sense if you think anout it. It was using the cpu to cover for the GPU, thus running my cliock speed up. When I enabled the Nvidia drivers (off by default because they are not GNU) it allowed the GPU to run the displayu processing instead of the CPU. THus reducing dtrain on the CPU,
Yup yup, you nailed it ;)

Okay I may be confused then. You said you enabled effects, thus enabling compiz. Was Compiz already running just without the official Nvidia drivers? My understanding of Ubuntu is that effects are off until a supported driver is enabled, in any case no effects should be on unless a driver allowing it to run on the GPU is enabled, otherwise you are just using stock Gnome with no effects. Of course you can manually enable anything you want, but I'm just thinking of how it works by default, and Gnome minus Compiz should in no way be using up 40% of one core.

Okay I may be confused then. You said you enabled effects, thus enabling compiz. Was Compiz already running just without the official Nvidia drivers?
Yes, with nVidia drivers installed. Otherwise, you can't enable the effects ;)

I was running stock Gnome with no effects until after i enables the Nvidia drivers.

Which brings us back to your original question that has made me very curious, why is Gnome using so much cpu power with Compiz off?

Which brings us back to your original question that has made me very curious, why is Gnome using so much cpu power with Compiz off?
Because it is using the processor to refresh the screen, which a processor is not exactly optimized for ;)

Go ahead and remove your drivers in windows, yup, just like that. Now grab a window and wave it around everywhere. See the nice 2fps your getting? ;)

Go ahead and remove your drivers in windows, yup, just like that. Now grab a window and wave it around everywhere. See the nice 2fps your getting? ;)

ROTFL

I didn't even know you could do that. Most of the time it'll tell me I can't cancel most programs.

Because it is using the processor to refresh the screen, which a processor is not exactly optimized for ;)

I'll check this out but last time I was fussing with my drivers I didn't notice anything like that in KDE while running just the nv (non official Nvidia driver) or the vesa driver. In fact the only way (other than running opengl programs) I could tell that I was using the correct driver was by enabling the Nvidia logo splash screen, otherwise I am never sure if it was setup correctly.

I'll check this out but last time I was fussing with my drivers I didn't notice anything like that in KDE while running just the nv (non official Nvidia driver) or the vesa driver. In fact the only way (other than running opengl programs) I could tell that I was using the correct driver was by enabling the Nvidia logo splash screen, otherwise I am never sure if it was setup correctly.
I meant removing your video drivers in Windows (like right after you do a clean install). ;)

how do you check cpu and ram usage
On ubuntu you goto the tab at the top (can't remmeber the name and open the administator menu then open the system monitor - it has a tab for CPU, RAM, and network.

On winders you right click on the bar on the bottom of the screen (an empty area) and open task manager. There will be a tab that has CPU, network, RAM.

Alternatively, you can download programs that will monitor the usage also.

I meant removing your video drivers in Windows (like right after you do a clean install). ;)

Yes I have seen it with Windows. I just tried out a Kubuntu KDE4 RC1 Live disk, basically no good Nvidia support out of the box with this disk, and I didn't think to check the CPU usage but yes it was pretty slow. I just didn't remember seeing it that way during my Kubuntu 7.10 install. It's such a common and expected thing I keep forgetting all video cards have 2D "acceleration" as well.

Just to clarify, from what I gather:

No nVidia drivers, no compiz, lots of CPU drain
nVidia drivers, no compiz, minor CPU drain
nVidia drivers, compiz, very minor CPU drain

At least, that's been my experience. Even though XP isn't a composited desktop, it really really feels sluggish without the appropriate graphics drivers installed, but feels fine after that.

vesa drivers use CPU. nv and radeon drivers use some cpu some gfx, as only partial support for GPU is implemented in those drivers.

Back