• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmmm, guess I messed things up....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gid

Registered
Rig in my sig.

I had never oc'd the memory but thought I'd give it a whirl so I rebooted, went into bios and went a little too far too fast I guess.

Turned off auto and raised mhz from 333 to 400. This is of course when I should have saved, rebooted and seen how things went but got a little carried away (didn't even take notes) and I believe I lowered timings from 3-3-3-13 to 2-2-2-12. Don't ask why, it's my first time and like most 'first times' I was fumbling around too excited to stop and think about what I was doing.

Well I hit save and exit and the next thing I know the screen goes dark and my computer tells me, "system failed, memory problem" over and over and over. My computer never talked to me before. I guess she (oh yeah, turns out my computer is a chic) was just waiting for me to really mess up.

Anywho, I restart my computer expecting to go back into the bios and bring life back to normal and low and behold what do I hear but "system failed, memory problem" (darn good thing I had my monitors on, eh?).

So......what do I do? I figured I'd post here on my laptop before I start ripping out random sticks of RAM wedged behind cooling tubing, IDE cables and wires of every color.

Thanks!

All you have to do is reset your BIOS via a jumper on the motherboard.

First, unplug the power cable from the power supply. Find the jumper on the motherboard. It will be 3 pins and labeled "cmos reset". There will be a jumper over two of them, what you need to do is take it off and put it on the other two. Leave it this way for about 15 seconds. Put the jumper back, plug in your computer and turn it on.

Don't worry, you didn't harm anything ;)

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!

Only problem is by coming upstairs to use my laptop I've been roped into folding laundry. I'll try it after I'm done with the socks. :attn:

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!

Only problem is by coming upstairs to use my laptop I've been roped into folding laundry. I'll try it after I'm done with the socks. :attn:
No problem :thup:

If you have any issues with it, just go ahead and report back :D

It worked!

The jumper wasn't labelled on the board itself but it was diagrammed in the mobo manual where it was labelled CLRTC (Clear RTC RAM).

Thanks again for your help! I'm sure I'll be using that often. :soda:

It worked!

The jumper wasn't labelled on the board itself but it was diagrammed in the mobo manual where it was labelled CLRTC (Clear RTC RAM).

Thanks again for your help! I'm sure I'll be using that often. :soda:
No problem :thup:

I use it all the time ;)

Back