• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 8 series and Windows 2K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRD

Does anyone know if Windows 2000 can be made to work with a Geforce 8800?

I can't seem to find drivers.

I haven't tried anything yet. I'm looking at a new build, and it will be PCI-E. I'd very much like to go with the 8800GT, but if it won't run under Windows 2000, I will need to go with a 7950GT... which is a lot slower for nearly the same price.

I need to know before I buy the card which to purchase.

If you go to the nvidia site and search for drivers, and enter that you have a geforce 8 series (any of them) and windows 2000, it returns no driver matches. If you do the same with a 7 series, it gives you a driver to download.

I looked at the eVGA 8800GT and it lists supported OS's as XP and Vista.

However, I found at least one 8800GT that claims to support 2K, by a company I didn't know called Club 3D. I don't know if it's a misprint though.

I suppose I could try it, and if it doesn't work, return the card to the egg and get a 7950GT, but I'd love to hear from someone that has actually tried this or has a link to a definitive answer to this question.

XP and 2000 are pretty close under the hood, so it seems dumb for them not to make drivers for both. 95/98/ME are a whole different architecture, so that's another story. That doesn't mean they did though. One time the nvidia installer that came with my 6800GT (the demos, not the driver) claimed to require XP. If you ran it in 2K, it said 2K was unsupported. If you ran the individual installers, they installed and the demos worked perfectly. So who knows...

This was posted on Tom's.

hey guys finaly saving for new card deciding between XFX 8800gt XXX or XFX 8800 GTS Alpha Dog edition

Brand XFX
Model PV-T88P-YDD4 XXX EDITION
GPU Geforce 8800GT
Core Clock 670MHZ , 65nm
Pixel Pipelines 112 super-scalar shader units
Memory Clock 1950MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256 Bit Memory Bandwidth
Memory Type GDDR3
DirectX DirectX 10.0
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0
Shader Model Shader Model 4.0
Interface PCI Express 2.0
DVI 2 x Dual Link DVI HDCP
TV-Out S-Video Out / HDTV Component Out
Max Resolution 2560x1600
SLI Supported Yes
Operating Systems Supported Windows Vista/Windows XP/Windows XP 64-bit/Windows 2000/
Accessories Driver CD, Installation Guide, S-Video Cable, DVI Adapter, Company of Heroes DVD + CD
Features PCI-E 2.0, Nvidia Unified Architecture, Nvidia Quantum Effects, Lumenex Engine, GIGA Thread, DirectX 10, Shader Model 4.0
Warranty 2 Years

$NZ 561.38

Brand XFX
Model PV-T80G-TDE9
GPU Geforce 8800GTS
Core Clock 600MHZ
Pixel Pipelines 112 Stream Processors
Memory Clock 1800MHz
Memory Size 640MB
Memory Interface 320 Bit Memory Bandwidth
Memory Type GDDR3
DirectX DirectX 10.0
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0
Shader Model Shader Model 4.0
Interface PCI Express x16
DVI 2 x Dual Link DVI
TV-Out S-Video Out / HDTV Component Out
Max Resolution 2560x1600
SLI Supported Yes
Operating Systems Supported Windows Vista/Windows XP/Windows XP 64-bit/Windows 2000/
Accessories Driver CD, S-Video Cable, Manual,
Features Nvidia Unified Architecture, Nvidia Quantum Effects, Lumenex Engine, GIGA Thread, DirectX 10, Shader Model 4.0
Warranty 2 Years

$NZ 583.88

which one should i get i might go sli in future and i dont want a hot and noisy case so im more inclined to get the gts what do you guys think?

And here is an MSI that claims windows 2000 support.

http://www.compsource.com/pn/NX8800GTT2D512EOC/Msi_298/

vs. XP: has no product activation, I already own it so don't have to waste more money on the OS that could be better spent on hardware (retail version, so I can xfer it between pc's indefinitely).

vs. Vista: same as above, plus I will not support DRM crippled products.

I'm primarily a GNU/Linux user, but I keep 1 Win 2K box for gaming. I would choose a 7950GT w/ 2K over an 8800 ultra with Vista, even if both were free.

Anyways back on topic, XFX's website seems to suggest there are drivers available for that card for 2K. nVidia's site lists none, and BFG and eVGA both say that XP or Vista is required. Very odd, you'd think it would be all or nothing, but maybe it's not... maybe XFX had to custom tweak the drivers? I don't know.

I'm ok with XFX though, they have a real lifetime warranty (unlike the scam PNY warranty which defines lifetime as "the lifetime of the product in the market"). I've bought BFG for my last several cards, but maybe I'll give XFX a shot.

It also looks like it might be some time before I can get one, no one has them yet. It's not that urgent though, I can wait til after Christmas if need be.

I don't see you having an issue getting it work but keeping the drivers up to date might become an issue.

keeping the drivers up to date might become an issue.

As long as there are XP drivers, you can get it to work with 2000. No worries.

Even if at some point they decide to lock out 2000 with a version check (which I find unlikely to happen), it generally only requires editing a line in an INF to get around it. I've dealt with such things many times before, it's kind of a pain, but not that big of a deal.

By the time there are no XP drivers, a GeForce 8800 will be the equivalent of a TNT.

Besides, it doesn't really matter if the drivers are kept up to date unless there are bugs or other problems. Sometimes there are some speed tweaks, but after the first couple versions right after a card is released there aren't any major changes or need to change drivers.

Back