• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Eee PC 8G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
Brand ASUS
Model Eee PC 8G - Pearl White
Part# 90OA05A11111111U125Q
General
Color White
Operating System Linux / XP compatable
CPU Type Intel Mobile CPU
Screen 7" WVGA
Memory Size 1GB DDR2
Hard Disk 8GB Solid-State Disk
Graphics Card Intel UMA
Video Memory shared memory
Battery Life 3.5 hours
Dimensions 8.86" x 6.30" x 0.79-1.26"
Weight 2.0 lbs.
CPU
CPU Type Intel processor
Chipset
Chipset Intel Mobile Chipset
Display
Screen Size 7"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide VGA
Resolution 800 x 480
Operating Systems
Operating System Linux
Graphics
GPU/VPU Integrated Graphics
Video Memory Shared system memory
Graphic Type Integrated Card
Hard Drive
HD Capacity 8GB
HD Spec Solid-State Disk
Memory
Memory Size 1GB
Communications
LAN 10/100Mbps
WLAN 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
Ports
USB 3
Video Port 1 x VGA
Audio Ports Audio Jack - Out (3.5mm)
Audio Jack - In (3.5mm)
Audio
Audio Hi-Definition Audio CODEC
1 Internal Microphone
Speaker 2 Internal Stereo Speakers
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader MMC/SD(SDHC)
Webcam Yes
Power
AC Adapter
Battery 4 cell 5200mAh
Battery Life 3.5 hours
Physical spec
Dimensions 8.86" x 6.30" x 0.79-1.26"
Weight 2.0 lbs.

Attachments

• big_a4.jpg
    big_a4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 585
The thing I don't like about those is the max resolution on the screen :( Otherwise they seem like a pretty good bargain.

I saw this at my local computer store but it was black. One complaint I heard about it is that the keys make loud clicking noises so it's embarassing to use in a quiet environment, is that true?

But the 8gig would work better with XP...

hmmm yeh your right.

I was just doing some reading and apparantly the fans are pretty loud. I'm actually reconsidering my purchase now because I want to the use laptop in class and I can't have loud fans wizzing...

hmmm yeh your right.

I was just doing some reading and apparantly the fans are pretty loud. I'm actually reconsidering my purchase now because I want to the use laptop in class and I can't have loud fans wizzing...

loud fans? Its a Celeron 900Mhz... I can't imagine anything loud in it

I would imagine that they could make a passive mobile celeron system (VIA did it with the C7)

People are stating it runs very hot...so its quite possible the cooling they used isn't exactly top notch.

I've had my eee(click link in my sig) since the first of November, love it alot. I've not found it to be hot in the least, just a warm spot on the underside which is cooler than other laptops I've used. I've not heard any objectionable noise from it at all. I'm running Ubunto 7.10 on it at the moment; probably go with Debian or FreeBSD in the future. The default Xandros "simple mode" desktop was too freaky(Fisher-Price looking). :eek:

It's great for travel- took it to Vermont over Thanksgiving, picked up wifi in the airport instantly. Since it doesn't have alot of storage space, I just bring along a couple pendrives with my 'must have' files on them. There's a eee user forum- http://forum.eeeuser.com/ that's got alot of helpful informatiuon, including a WIKI.

I've had my eee(click link in my sig) since the first of November, love it alot. I've not found it to be hot in the least, just a warm spot on the underside which is cooler than other laptops I've used. I've not heard any objectionable noise from it at all. I'm running Ubunto 7.10 on it at the moment; probably go with Debian or FreeBSD in the future. The default Xandros "simple mode" desktop was too freaky(Fisher-Price looking). :eek:

It's great for travel- took it to Vermont over Thanksgiving, picked up wifi in the airport instantly. Since it doesn't have alot of storage space, I just bring along a couple pendrives with my 'must have' files on them. There's a eee user forum- http://forum.eeeuser.com/ that's got alot of helpful informatiuon, including a WIKI.

I have a few questions as I am planning to buy one after christmas with my money and tax returns...

a) How much RAM do you have?
b) How loud is the fans and keyboard keys...I want to use this in class, so in your personal opinion, would the laptop be a disturbance at all noise wise?
c) How is the 800x480 resolution? Is it horrible to view webpages with or is it bearable?
d) How good is your battery? Have you tested it out? I would be happy with 2hrs 30mins with medium light....and any higher would just be great.
e) Hows the build quality? Does it "feel" cheaply made? Any creeks in the body or bending plastic anywhere?
f) How solid is the screen and its hinges? Does the screen flex under pressure, is the back of the lid solid or more bendy? Do the hinges feel pretty solid?
EDIT: g) Is there a horizontal scroll for the touchpad?

If you could answers those, that would be very much appreciated! I am so anxious to get one :D

Last edited:
Back