• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a router...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harrison

Registered
I need advice on a router to get. I'm currently using a broken down Linksys BEFSR41 (I had to tape the power cable in) right now. It doesn't really need to be anything fancy. All I need is a pretty basic router that would do good for both PC and Xbox Gaming, and be able to act like a modem (When the original modem is set to bridge).

Thanks.

I used to use a linksys WRT54G (before I built my pfsense box) it worked nicely especially when you get some good firmware on it

I had a WRT54G before. After about two weeks, it would drop wireless every five minutes, which could only be fixed by restarting the router.

Any other suggestions?

if you ahve old OPC parts lying around you can build an IPcop or smoothwall box or something, that'd work great.

I'm using a WRT54GS flashed with dd-wrt and has always worked great. It's comparatively cheap and with dd-wrt, you get more features than regular firmware plus the ability to overclock it, run custom scripts, add extra storage space on it, use as a small web server, etc.

I'm using a WRT54GS flashed with dd-wrt and has always worked great. It's comparatively cheap and with dd-wrt, you get more features than regular firmware plus the ability to overclock it, run custom scripts, add extra storage space on it, use as a small web server, etc.

The newest version v7 of wrt54gs with intel flash chip is not flashable with dd wrt firmware.

Mine's a v5. If I had to buy a new one, I'd go with a buffalo since they're fairly reliable and can mostly be flashed with more features also.

The newest version v7 of wrt54gs with intel flash chip is not flashable with dd wrt firmware.

It is now, check the DD-WRT website. You can run the a micro version of the firmware on the v7 and v8. It also requires a complicated method of flashing to get working. I would agree on the Buffalo.

It is now, check the DD-WRT website. You can run the a micro version of the firmware on the v7 and v8. It also requires a complicated method of flashing to get working. I would agree on the Buffalo.
You are thinking about wrt54g, the wrt54gs goes upto v7. The wrt54gs v7 comes with broadcom and intel flashing chip. Doing dd-wrt flash on one with intel flashing chip will result in dead router.

You are thinking about wrt54g, the wrt54gs goes upto v7. The wrt54gs v7 comes with broadcom and intel flashing chip. Doing dd-wrt flash on one with intel flashing chip will result in dead router.

On the v24 RC5, if you go through the folder it's on there. It'll say WRT54 v.8/WRT54GS v.7.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G/GL/GS/GX#v7_2

So yea, it has to be the broadcom not intel, but it's supported. I'm not sure if all the new v. 7 are intel only. If it is then the OP is out of luck.

Back