• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max CPU%?!?!?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zacdrew

I just got my new CPU and RAM on warranty:). They are the same that I burnt out in my sig. Now when I run prime 95 on stock settings my cpu % will only go to 54% and will not go above. My temps are staying relativly in check for stock clocks. 39* and 42*. Super PI wont even max out my cpu usage. Any I deas whats going on? any help is appreciated.

I just got my new CPU and RAM on warranty:). They are the same that I burnt out in my sig. Now when I run prime 95 on stock settings my cpu % will only go to 54% and will not go above. My temps are staying relativly in check for stock clocks. 39* and 42*. Super PI wont even max out my cpu usage. Any I deas whats going on? any help is appreciated.
Are you running two instances of each program?

If not, that is your problem. A program won't use two processors unless it is multi-threaded ;)

How do I run two instances? Sorry if this is a noob question but I reformatted my HD when I put my new parts in, and when I reinstalled Prime it didnt have the multiple instances. How do I get it to run two instances?

How do I run two instances? Sorry if this is a noob question but I reformatted my HD when I put my new parts in, and when I reinstalled Prime it didnt have the multiple instances. How do I get it to run two instances?
You run the program twice ;)

You can go to windows task manager. Ctrl Alt Delete/System processes/ Right click on the the program and set Affinity to core 0. Open the program again, find the second running program and set affinity to core 1. But I think the newer programs like Orthos or Prime do not need for you to set affinity but I may be mistaken.

Hmmm. Ok Ill try running the program twice. Its just a little weird becuase before me reformat Prime recoginzed bboth cores. I'll try orthos too and see how that works out. When I am running prime in the task manager it says CPU% @ 50, but on the graphs it shows both cores @ 50 not just one core @ 100. Is that normal?

When I am running prime in the task manager it says CPU% @ 50, but on the graphs it shows both cores @ 50 not just one core @ 100. Is that normal?
Yup. Windows will switch programs between cores to even the load out. ;)

If you gave one instance an "affinity", like to core 0, it would only use the processors specified.

You only need one prime 95 for quad cores... it does not recognize dual cores?

Are you asking me something there? :confused: I don't think prime "recognizes" more than one core no. It works, but only because Windows tries to spread the load. There may be a newer version I don't know about. I think Orthos is better because it automatically detects and tests each of your cores without having to mess with multiple copies running and affinity settings.

Are you asking me something there? :confused: I don't think prime "recognizes" more than one core no. It works, but only because Windows tries to spread the load. There may be a newer version I don't know about. I think Orthos is better because it automatically detects and tests each of your cores without having to mess with multiple copies running and affinity settings.
There is a special version of Prime that does run up to 4 (maybe more) instances within the program so you don't have to. Very nice program ;)

There is a special version of Prime that does run up to 4 (maybe more) instances within the program so you don't have to. Very nice program ;)

Yes that must be the version of Prime I had before I just downloaded the wrong one this time. As for running 2 instances of prime I can't it will always default unminimize the Prime I ahve open. Anyway I'm going to try and get the multiple core Prime and maybe orthos while im looking. Thanks for all of the advice:).

I think my heatsink is done as well as my mobo on its way out. With in 2min of starting to run orthos my temps have jumped to higher than they were OC'ed at 2.7. Well maybe its time this becomes a server and I suck it up and buy a quad core. Once again thanks for the help.

Back