• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Learning curve of 5900X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
When I upgraded to AM4 from 1151, it was a whole new animal in terms of overclocking it. I could never figure a way to get it stable while trying to max out the clock speed. I had to learn all the tricks of PBO clocking. Trust me, I got peed off ALOT with this thing. I just wanted to open all the barrels full bore and run it like I always did, but nooo. I went to the landfill to work out my anger with a sledgehammer and smash things. Yeah, I know, alittle extreme, but that's me.

So I studied, read, copy notes, drank lots of booze and after several days, I had that AHA! moment.

Anyhows, this is what I got for my rig:

Cores 5 and 9 are the best ones, so I shot for -25
Cores 4 and 8 are next so I went -18
Cpu offset to -0.0375

The rest got -16. Settled for PPT-210 TDC-140 and EDC 145. Any lower on the EDC and my clocks suffer. Any higher and it gets toasty. This got me a max temp of 79c. I set temp limit to 85. Running CB23 max cores get to 5150 and others range from 5001 to 4900. I guess that's not too shabby for my "real 1st time"

Attachments

• clk1.JPG
    clk1.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 11
  • Clock1.JPG
    Clock1.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
With AGESA 1203.. I use 240/160/190 and all core -26 and she pushes to the tippy top for 5150MHz. With new AGESA I run the same power limits but only +100 boost override as I would be limited to 1.425v, you need that 1.5v to get up to the top.. as well as TDC and EDC.. which the newer AGESAs are bugged.

Also with my settings it is not stable in core cycler.. but I don't care, it is good with everything else :)

My 5600X is stable with that program though, can do +150 stable but I run +200 anyways and its fine :D

No need for VCORE offset if you are using PBO+CO.. You would just be hurting performance :cool:

I'm trying older bioses to see which one gives me the best performance. So far the newer bioses give almost identical performance. Trying bios #16 (5/31/21). In this bios I noticed it doesn't have the option for just offset for the chip.

So decided to start from scratch. I just opened the spiket full bore for my chip. Using RM I checked for PPT/TDC/EDC and found them to be 500/210/280. So I set those in the bios. PBO limit to -20, boost to 200 and just fired it up. Running CB23 max temps got 72c. 2 cores top out at 5150, two more cores 4900 and the rest run between 4500-4800.

Yeah I hear those X3D's don't overclock well.. The cache is what makes them popular with gamers, especially those that don't overclock. Just plop it in and go. What fun is that? I was considering getting one, but found a great deal on the 5900X instead.

I luv this board, but I feel I can get more out of the chip with a different board.

The X3D doesn't overclock at all, disabled in BIOS. The latest agesa unlocked overclock setting in BIOS, but changing those settings have no effect. I have mine running with a -30 vcore offset though and it improved some bench scores by staying boosted to its max for longer. It's a great CPU for gaming, but horrible for performance boosting & overclocking.

Yeah I hear those X3D's don't overclock well.. The cache is what makes them popular with gamers, especially those that don't overclock. Just plop it in and go. What fun is that? I was considering getting one, but found a great deal on the 5900X instead.

I luv this board, but I feel I can get more out of the chip with a different board.
You can, but it has to be done through bclk. And you can only get about another 100mhz. To me its not at all worth the effort. The CPU will always be power limited, and while you can game on those clocks, banking on full blown stability is out of the question.

As for your board.. I cant really say as I don't have experience with other brands. I have two Asus boards, the Strix B550-F, the board is solid.. but its not in the same class as my Strix XE. The XE has more than ample muscle to drive my 5900X to its limit, both static and PBO. Its like a B550 Dark Hero, but without that OC feature that makes it special :D

The one thing I like about the X3D is that it is super easy to cool.. at least mine is. But it can get pretty warm if you run it at stock.

Back