• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire and multiple monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klear

I've got 2 2900 XT's sitting here but I haven't made a decision on if I should sell one card or get an X38 or 790FX motherboard to crossfire them and basically the only thing holding me back from crossfire is I've heard there's trouble with 2 or more monitors when crossfire is enabled.

I use a soyo 24'' as a main display and a samsung 19'' for messengers/websites while a game is open (so I can see who the person is before I alt-tab to respond and to see who is speaking on ventrilo, etc.) Its really nice for games that can run in windowed mode as well.

Anyone know if you can have 2 displays set up like that when crossfire is enabled?

not sure, but you could always buy a 15 dollar PCI video card to drive the second monitor.

I think ATI says it best: "the CrossFire platform will work with ATI SurroundView™ multi-monitor technology to enable up to 5 separate displays when not running in CrossFire mode"

No multiple monitors with crossfire enabled. :(

actually, with the new 38xx series, you can have CF AND multi-monitor. I haven't tested this yet but the specifications did explicitly indicate this is possible now with CF.

actually, with the new 38xx series, you can have CF AND multi-monitor. I haven't tested this yet but the specifications did explicitly indicate this is possible now with CF.

That's news to me. I actually pulled that quote directly from the ATI support site. Thanks TTP.

Edit: Here's a discussion about it. It looks like it does NOT support multiple monitors. ATI is specifically being cagey on this issue, just like my quote. "Does crossfire support multiple monitors?" ATI responds, "Yes, but not in crossfire." :/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246720-33-crossfire-3870-mode-dual-monitors

Last edited:

Could you show me where it says that? I'd love to get some trip monitor gaming going on without the matrox adaptor.

I could swear I just said that... :p ;)

:beer:

Well with the X1800/X19xx/HD2900 the multi-monitor mode was definitely not supported. And with the external CF adapter on the X1800/X1900 you didn't even have the choice of shutting down CF mode to enable multi-monitor support.

With the 2900/38xx, you can at least shutdown CF and plug the 2nd monitor in the other DVI port for multi-monitor support.

:beer:

Well with the X1800/X19xx/HD2900 the multi-monitor mode was definitely not supported. And with the external CF adapter on the X1800/X1900 you didn't even have the choice of shutting down CF mode to enable multi-monitor support.

With the 2900/38xx, you can at least shutdown CF and plug the 2nd monitor in the other DVI port for multi-monitor support.

:beer:/back atcha. Just bein' cheeky.

Yes, the 1950 external dongle is... an interesting solution. :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to getting rid of mine so I can actually fit my computer under the desk. I have a second rig with dual monitors so it doesn't bother me much.

How does it work? Does the game have to support it, or is it like a th2go?

If you're asking about getting multi-monitor working, there are 2 DVI ports and you simply plug each monitor into each port respectively. For CF, you can plug a monitor to each card. The CCC will show 2 active ports per card. So for 2 cards, there are 4 possible port settings.

So if I'm reading this all right

Hey everyone,

I am building a new system that will have a 24" main monitor and dual 19" monitors on the sides. So if I'm reading this right if I have two ATi Crossfire 38xx cards I will be able to run my 24" in crossfire with the sides off for gaming and when I turn Crossfire off the two cards will happily drive all three monitors?

I'm glad I found these forums, I have a lot of reading to do!

Thanks,
Darren

A game needs to have multiple monitor support to run, unless you get the matrox triple head deal which can basically take a single output signal and put it out to multiple monitors

or some games you can run in windowed mode and strech it across the screens.

Back