• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM for O/Cing? 2GB, <£60, DDR2 800, PC6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drakelet

What would you all recommend?

I'm looking to upgrade my system soon, but I'm not sure about which RAM to get. I might do some fairly light O/Cing, but not much (I would mainly O/C graphics card/PSU, I don't know much about O/Cing RAM yet). I've read quite a bit about the latencies and stuff, but I'm confused - Is lower better or higher? It seems lower is better...But you need loose latencies for O/Cing? Anyway, that's a different topic.

I was thinking about 4-4-4-12, DDR2 800 PC3200. I want it under £60, although cheaper is even better as I'm finding it hard to afford the upgrade as it is. I might go slightly higher, but I don't really want to.

The system will be something VERY similar to this:
Gigabyte GA-P35C-D3SR
E6750
Corsair 620W
8800GT

I'm from the UK, so links to UK websites would be helpful - ebuyer.com, aria.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk, scan.co.uk etc

I've been thinking Corsair, GeIL or OCZ. I've heard the Crucial Ballistix is good, but I just can't afford it.

What would you advise?

Thanks all.

OCZ is nice, I took my PC2-6400, 800Mhz to over 1000Mhz, with 5-5-5-18, which I understand is very nice for this type of RAM. Also don't believe the rumours about overclockers.co.uk being terrible with RMA.

While their staff are pretty arrogant, I had a product replaced in two days, that's two days to my door. I sent them the product, the fault pointed out and full information regarding the fault, which I think a lot of people don't do which causes the long wait times.

I'm running 2x2GB, but if you're only doing mild overclocking I'd recommend getting 1x4GB as it's much cheaper and the modules are slightly faster (lower timings, which yes, mean lower speed)

Also is that the Corsair HX620W? Good call, best piece of hardware I've ever owned, seriously.

Thanks thisisapen.

I hadn't actually heard that about overclockers.co.uk, but thanks for the heads-up.

1x4GB is cheaper!?

And yeah, the HX620W. Sooooo many good reviews for it, and so many people recommending it, I had no choice. ;)

Back