• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Vista or not to Vista ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson

OK I want to go Vista but I have some questions about it .
First of I tried the Vista home and once I had it installed and all up and running I found I could not OC at all for some reason not known . I want to get Vista but only if I can get the same OC I have now 3.8Ghz !
I don't know if I need more ram than what I have to go with Vista either I only have 1Gb and I hear it needs more to run really good .
So all in all with a EVGA 680i a E6750 3.8Ghz and 1Gb GEIL 1000MHz Ram and a 8800GT should I go with Vista or stay with XP . and one more thing what version should I get if I do go vista ?
Thank you ..

Dont know why it wouldnt work. But I would Definately buy another gig of ram. Good News! RAM is CHEAP! Get it while its hot. Theres rumors that the chip makers are going to slow down chip making so demand rises to the price point thats enjoyable to them! good luck!

I used Vista 64bit for over a year and I can sum it up very simply.

Slow computers need not apply, less than 2GB of ram need not apply.

Avid gamers, need not apply.

For a more detailed description, search the forums. Basically the OS runs great when it's just the OS, music is good, lots of options, and drivers work just fine. If you are a gamer you will see a decrease in frames, whether you like it or not, compared to XP. I also had more shimmering and more flickering on my textures in Vista than I do on XP, YMMV of course.

I advocated it for at least a year and then I finally went back to XP when the service pack came out. Since I am a big gamer it just doesn't make sense right now to use Vista for anything other than DX10 and currently, it's not THAT much more special for the huge hit you take in performance.

I agree with the above poster. You need at least 2 gigs of ram for it to run well.

Also, dont run vista if you are a gamer. (especially if you still play directx 9 games)

I used Vista 64bit for over a year and I can sum it up very simply.

Slow computers need not apply, less than 2GB of ram need not apply.

Avid gamers, need not apply...

Agree with the first 2 points, but the last it utter BS and frankly that statement about Vista sucks for gaming is getting old. It plays games just fine. If, your interested I crank out a list of all the games I tried on Vista.

Oh and OP, Vista didn't jack up your OC.

Sorry I was a bit vague. Let me be clearer with some bold statements.

Vista does not suck for gaming, Vista is slower than XP while you game.

Depending on the game and your system, the drop may not be enough to be noticable.

OK I want to go Vista but I have some questions about it .
First of I tried the Vista home and once I had it installed and all up and running I found I could not OC at all for some reason not known . I want to get Vista but only if I can get the same OC I have now 3.8Ghz !

Your ability to overclock may have been hampered by a driver issue (I'm assuming that Windows was unstable). Vista driver support gets better every day and the chances are that the particular driver that (likely) caused your issue has been updated.

I don't know if I need more ram than what I have to go with Vista either I only have 1Gb and I hear it needs more to run really good .

While you can run Vista on 1GB, memory now is so ridiculously cheap that there's really no reason not to run the maximum you can afford/install.

So all in all with a EVGA 680i a E6750 3.8Ghz and 1Gb GEIL 1000MHz Ram and a 8800GT should I go with Vista or stay with XP .

It seems increasingly that the like or dislike of Vista is just that...one either likes it or one does not.

The reason for this is as individual as the users. I finally installed Vista on my main workstation and now enjoy noticeable performance improvements in all Adobe CS3 applications, SQL server 2005 and Office 2007. Of course, someone who does not use these programs day and night might not see as much of a benefit.

In other words, your mileage may vary...

and one more thing what version should I get if I do go vista ?
Thank you ..

Once again, it depends on your preferences and what you're doing.

Are you planning on logging into a domain or using VPN? If so, you should get Vista Business

Are you planning on watching DVDs and want strong media center support? If so, you should get Vista Home Premium

Do you want it all? Everything in one version and price is no object? Get Vista Ultimate

MS spells out the versions very well here

Agree with the first 2 points, but the last it utter BS and frankly that statement about Vista sucks for gaming is getting old. It plays games just fine. If, your interested I crank out a list of all the games I tried on Vista.

Oh and OP, Vista didn't jack up your OC.

You can game on Vista, but you're going to suffer a performance loss over XP. Since Vista doesn't really offer any astounding features that are different than XP (Games manager, wowowow), why would a gamer want to lose performance just for a shiny new interface?

I'll move to Vista when we have some real DX10 games out (not just DX9 engines with some DX10 particle effects hacked in).

get more ram, go vista, go 64 bit ultimate if possible, otherwise home premium or business (like me :)), join the wave of microsoft's future.

If you don't have to, don't do it. If you can for cheap/ free and you have a system to do it, there are only a few extreme (valid) reasons not to: don't need to, benchmarking, ocd gamer, and thats it.

Even if you stay with xp get 2gb of ram. I cant imagine going back to a single GB for anything more then an internet box lol

get more ram, go vista, go 64 bit ultimate if possible, otherwise home premium or business (like me :)), join the wave of microsoft's future.

If you don't have to, don't do it. If you can for cheap/ free and you have a system to do it, there are only a few extreme (valid) reasons not to: don't need to, benchmarking, ocd gamer, and thats it.

I will agree with him, I am very ocd when it comes to gaming and performance. I've found myself upgrading video cards and or changing settings because I noticed some "particles" in the distance or on a car that shouldn't be there. Or slight shimmering enough to be bothered.

I still find that day to day tasks suck on XP compared to vista. There are small delays when opening and closing applications (which there aren't on Vista with the service pack) and even smaller things like winamp having small pauses now and then if I'm pressing and holding a lot of buttons, which doesn't happen in Vista.

I seriously find Vista to be a good operating system, IF and only IF, you are not obsessed or picky in gaming.

Also keep in mind there is a lack of real 7.1 surround support in Vista also, only emulated support. This may have been because of his x-fi or irrelevent. For my friend this was upsetting, for me I only use headphones so that didn't really mean anything to me.

I think 2gb in XP is essential and really solidifies the system well. As for Vista, from my experience so far 2gb has been completely fine. I'll probably go to 4gb so I can still run xp and vista ultimate 64. RAM is so cheap it has become a no brainer to get 2gb. I like the aero look and it has been said that it just seems like applications function much better overall. I was definitely impressed that it has the driver support feature helping you figure out what you could possibly use to resolve uninstalled drivers. As for gaming yeah you'll see a hit but its like anything else, eventually next gen cards will adapt vista better and it will balance out so the advantage with xp will diminish eventually. Having more DX10 games you will see a big jump from xp to vista for sure. I love XP but my everyday use so far on vista is making me strongly consider wiping my XP partition at some point. It's not like you can't play games, my 8800GTX does fine with a 1600x1080 resolution and in Crysis I put on x4 AA and it ran fine. Granted mine and most cards are oc'd but its not that a card like the GTX can't handle these games in Vista. Less frame rates? sure but unless you're playing multiplayer whats the big deal? My stock fps and oc'd fps in xp games didn't seem to be really noticable. I'll take less fps to enjoy an awesome resolution for gaming.

Last edited:
We have Vista home premium on our laptops and Vista business on the main rig. They all run flawless and I like better than xp, never thought i would say it. I agree at least 2 gigs of ram is a must....good luck

Back