• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help vista is really mussed up dont know y

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

discgolfer72

Registered
ok i just built a new rig

amd athlon 64 4000+ x2
2 gigs corsair xms ddr2 800 ram
160 gig sata wd hd
chain tech 8400 gs(got it cause it was cheap at 30$)
ecs 6100 motherboard

well i built this computer so i could play halo 2 thats it
well after installing vista ultmate i can not install my mobo drivers without getting a bsod with a long list of hardware errors

well after reinstalling again i see that there are no ? in device mgr and on vista update i did get a few drivers for my nvida chipset and such

well my problem is im getting tons of trouble from vista

1st
when ever i open halo 2 im getting like 3 popups saying my computer is not good enough to play the game and my vids drivers are not up to date(i just went to chain tech's site and nvida and dl latest drivers and still getting same results) i can over ride it but man 2 gig ram and 8400 256 card is way more than enough for halo 2 (req are 512 at least radon x700)im getting a vista score of my pc of 2.5

2nd
when i do a cpu-z test my cpu is all over the place it jumps back and forth from 1000 mhz to the actual 2100 mhz

3rd
when i do pcpit test i get a bad result for my ram saying all othe rpc's running the same ram are running way better
same with my cpu

4th
when i try and run ati tool to oc my graffix card it says that there is an error and it shows 0 for my core and mem clock (same with n tune)
gpu-z does show my card and the actual core and mem clocks

i have checked my bios and everything is set to normal and reinstalled xp and dont seem to have any of the problems in xp

:bang head:mad::bang head
i never wanted to run vista but i have to to be able to play halo 2 online
vista suks guess im going to just have to install windows on this pc and sell it and dual boot my good pc
the one in my sig

thanks all for any advice u can give

go into your control panel/power options and make sure your set to high performance, sounds like it's set to power saver:beer:

ecs 6100 board has the onboard nvidia graphics chip, maybe try disabling the onboard in bios

u cant disable it it auto does that when using the pci slot u can do auto or always enabled (i have it set to auto )

it was set to balanced but i changed that and tested agaqin but no change

man i hate vista it shure looks pretty but man no driver support no game support and its only finding one of the computers on my network all othe computers see each other but vista can only see my gf's computer(vista comp is 5th computer on my network)

any other ideas

u cant disable it it auto does that when using the pci slot u can do auto or always enabled (i have it set to auto )

it was set to balanced but i changed that and tested agaqin but no change

man i hate vista it shure looks pretty but man no driver support no game support and its only finding one of the computers on my network all othe computers see each other but vista can only see my gf's computer(vista comp is 5th computer on my network)

any other ideas

check your bios settings for amd cool & quiet make sure it's disabled.

if that don't work completely uninstall your mobo drivers use driver cleaner pro then reinstall. make sure you got the latest drivers.

well i figured out y im getting such a low score

vista scores your computer by the lowest score

my results are
cpu---5.0 (i overclocket my 4000+ from 2.1 -2.4)
ram-----5.9
graffix (windows aero)---2.7
graffix (3d)------4.0
hard disc------5.7

is there any way to uninstall or remove aero(or at least remove the score for that ) i went into setings and did custom for my visual effects (removed all but the basic stuff)but that didnt change the score i am getting

i fixed my ram i had the gpu bank in my bios set to 256 i changed it to 16 mb and that brought my mem up to par

i ran pcpitstop driver scan and its showing several outdated drivers but since i dont want to pay for the program (so it will dl the drivers)i tried searching the drivers and none of the driver versions that they listed come up on any search i do (i think its a scam to get u to buy the program )

thanks again all for all the help

Back