• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm reinstalling XP on my parents PC, but it's so slow it takes forever to open...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bryce

I'm reinstalling XP on my parents PC, but it's so slow it takes forever to open...

I'm reinstalling XP on my parents PC since it's been a few years since it's had a reinstall, but it's soooo slow that it takes FOREVER to open up My Documents and copy files/folders to a Backup Folder. Do you have any ideas on what I can do to backup their data? My PC has Vista Ultimate on it, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to remote into it and copy files.

I'm reinstalling XP on my parents PC since it's been a few years since it's had a reinstall, but it's soooo slow that it takes FOREVER to open up My Documents and copy files/folders to a Backup Folder. Do you have any ideas on what I can do to backup their data? My PC has Vista Ultimate on it, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to remote into it and copy files.

sounds like the typical mom and pop pc syndrome to me, to many processes running in the background. probably used all the system mem, and into pagefile and the cpu is probably under a good load aswell.

try opening task manager and see how many processes are running and shutdown everything non essential. odds are there is over 50 processes running. my uncle's pc took 20 min to boot up and after it finally got into windows i checked taskmanager and he had 78 processes running:eek: i was like holy $@&%

ok thanks.

should I shutdown like the User's processes and leave the System processes running?

Back