• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Darn hard drive on laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muddocktor

Retired
This afternoon it looks like the hard drive that came with my Dell laptop was trying to give up the ghost and it lost 2 weeks of cached wu's. :( I had been using the lappy and went away for a few minutes to check on something and when I came back I found a black screen facing me saying that a boot drive couldn't be found.:mad: I went and did a hard shutdown then tried bringing it back up and the computer then saw the drive but Vista couldn't boot. I then ran through the Vista repair wizard and it restored to some earlier point (like a few weeks ago it looked like) and finally got to the desktop, but lost my wifi and the cached work units. I then pulled some critical data off the drive, shut down and luckily I had another hard drive I had bought when I got the laptop last March (in case I had compatibility problems with Vista) with XP Pro on it and got my machine back up and running. I then had to download the latest version of BOINC and the latest optimizations and install BOINC on this XP drive. So at least I have my laptop back up and crunching, but it makes me sick that the other hard drive trashed 2 weeks worth of cached work.

All in all though I came out OK on this. It was a good thing I bought the extra hard drive and installed XP on it for this laptop as otherwise I think the original hard drive wouldn't have lasted another 1 1/2 weeks before dying completely.

why didnt you try ghosting the drive???

The restore borked the wu cache anyways and out here on the rig, I don't have any way to ghost it. I probably will do that when I get in from the rig though; I'm just leaving the ailing drive alone until I get back in and can try to ghost it.

I think from now on I will follow this "plan B" and have a backup drive with OS installed and ready to run whenever needed with my work laptop. I would have been up the creek without a paddle if I hadn't had the spare drive ready to roll.

I had something somewhat similar happen about 6 years ago on a previous laptop, but the drive was just losing sectors and not totally dying and was able to make the hitch with it. On this drive, I'm thinking that it's a problem with something on the pcb of the drive (gets hot and gets flaky).

Back