• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB not recognized in flash attempt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

galador

My DSP2GB005 2GB Centon USB data stick does not show up on Asus EZFlash selection list while I am trying to flash the Asus P5E mobo. It does show in windows xp just fine ( Drive F).
It does contain the 402 unzipped bios 402.rom but in EZ Flash it's does not see the stick or new bios.
Any ideas because floppy is too small ( 402.rom is 2 mb).
Is there something I am doing wrong to make it not show up in bios?
Reason for the attempted flash is because Windows only sees my 320GB Western Digital drive as 127GB on the current 107 bios.

Thank You in advance.
Here is a picture of it. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000QBUCYM/themussou0230884-20

Last edited:
Reason for the attempted flsh is because Windows only sees my 320GB Western Digital drive as 127GB on the current 107 bios.
It not the BIOS, it's because your Windows XP disk is not SP1 or higher. You need to make a new disk with SP2, I would suggest, slipstreamed into it. nLite can do that. As far as the BIOS issue, I'd make sure you have a USB drive selected as a possible boot drive within the current BIOS' boot menu and boot order.

It says SP2 on Windows or am I not understanding.

Attachments

• pic.JPG
    pic.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 2,308
Here's pics on where it shows the bios in the flash drive. The bios seeing the USB flash drive, and the bios in my flash drive. No drive F in EZFlash.

Attachments

• new bios in flash card.JPG
    new bios in flash card.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 2,303
  • bios.JPG
    bios.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,329
  • EZFlash.JPG
    EZFlash.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,319
Last edited:
Well I don't see why you can't boot from the USB drive since it is being recognized by everything, so I don't have any brilliant suggestions right now. As far the XP drive capacity issue, did you install SP2 after the initial install? or the actual disk is XP SP2? It must be a SP2 disk in order to recognize the larger drive initially. If you go into Disk Management can you see the rest of the unformatted space of the drive?

galador, the first partition of the flash device must be bootable. How to acomplish this depends on the type (file system) of partition(s) being used.

Last edited:
Reason for the attempted flash is because Windows only sees my 320GB Western Digital drive as 127GB on the current 107 bios.
If BIOS detects the drive correctly, the problem is not the BIOS.

ATAPI ATA (note that this does not include SATA) devices greater than about 127-137GB will not appear at true capacity without the "EnableBigLba" DWORD set to 1 at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters.

Try merging the following to your Windows Registry:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Enables Large LBA Addressing
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters]
"EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001

I have tried to find information about "Asus EZFlash", is dictated by the thread starter, and have determined that such likely does not exist.

I have hound soming by alias "Asus EZ Flash". If Asus EZ Flash is to be used, a floopy seems to be required.

EDIT: the documentation for Asus EZ Flash I refered to was for version 1.00 of Asus EZ Flash. The thread starter seems to be using a newer version of Asus EZ Flash. Wherefore some things I had posted previously may not apply.

Seing the screenshots above, I would recommend trying again using the flash drive formatted as FAT, copying the file onto the drive, then trying again.

Note utilities that come with Windows 2000/XP do not seem to correctly write a FAT partition. Use a different utility for the purpose (DOS FDISK for example).

Last edited:
I have tried to find information about "Asus EZFlash", is dictated by the thread starter, and have determined that such likely does not exist.

I have hound soming by alias "Asus EZ Flash". If Asus EZ Flash is to be used, a floopy seems to be required.

Man,
Are you a troll?

I have inquired about the EZ Flash 2 and the USB flash drive issue on Asus forums and a moderator there came up with the flash solution. Use a cd-r and flash in EZ Flash 2 as you would a thumb drive ( with the exception of formating it).
It worked flawlessly and now have P5E bios 402 installed.
To think the solution was so simple :beer:
I asked why this is not added to the Asus manual and he said " it's a secret"
What he means by that I have no idea.

Well I don't see why you can't boot from the USB drive since it is being recognized by everything, so I don't have any brilliant suggestions right now. As far the XP drive capacity issue, did you install SP2 after the initial install? or the actual disk is XP SP2? It must be a SP2 disk in order to recognize the larger drive initially. If you go into Disk Management can you see the rest of the unformatted space of the drive?

SP 2 was installed immediately after xp was installed and after that it did show 298GB on drive C.
I did forget to mention that after the bad flash using Asus Update and the pc would not shut down ( posted here) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=542358 Windows did give me the message " windows has just recovered from a critical error" message.
It shows that now the other 170.1GB is unallocated in disk management.

I have heard "Troll" before like TrollHunter the O/C moderator a few years back. What does that word signify?

Last edited:
SP 2 was installed immediately after xp was installed and after that it did show 298GB on drive C.
I did forget to mention that after the bad flash using Asus Update and the pc would not shut down ( posted here) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=542358 Windows did give me the message " windows has just recovered from a critical error" message.
It shows that now the other 170.1GB is unallocated in disk management.

I have heard "Troll" before like TrollHunter the O/C moderator a few years back. What does that word signify?
Right, if you install XP then install SP2 the rest of the drive will then be recognized, as you noted. Now you have to create a separate partition with the remaining drive space. If your install disk was SP2 from the start, all the drive space would have been recognized and you wouldn't have to create a second partition with the remaining space like you do now. A "troll" is someone who causes agruements/problems on the forums just for the sake of doing so.

Back