• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate 7200.11 Raid 0 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Just finished a small review on the 7200.11 Raid 0 Setup I completed:

Seagate 7200.11 (Raid 0 Results)
1/18/2008

Author: Dominick V. Strippoli

We recently reviewed the latest drive from Seagate's arsenal: Known as the 7200.11 Barracuda. This drive proved to be an excellent competitor for the well known Western Digital Raptor 150. General performance of the drive was very comparable to the Raptor and ended up about 7% to 15% slower in every day tasks. On the other hand, when working with video/photo editing and larger file operations the Seagate 7200.11 had a very sizable 25% to 30% advantage. As highly requested by our readers, we have put together a very simple review article of the same 7200.11 drive used in a Raid 0 array. We will use the same testing methodology as our previous review and simply add one additional Barracuda to create a Raid 0 array. Once again, we will be using the Western Digital Raptor 150 as a comparison drive. In order to obtain the maximum possible sustained transfer rates on the drives, and the quickest possible access time we have limited our Raid 0 volume to a 50GB size and 128k stripe. This in turn will only use the first 25GB's (and fastest portions) of each drive. The remaining 440GB's or so, for the purpose of taking advantage of the Matrix Storage Controller we have chosen to create a mirrored Raid 1 setup. Since we have already reviewed the single Seagate 7200.11 in a full scale in-depth review, we are simply going to provide this introduction, a small conclusion, and solely hard results from our testing.

Read the rest of the article here:
http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/barracudaraid/

raid0.jpg

Great review, I'm glad to see someone compare these through a number of benchmarks instead of reading people recommend one or the other without any real evidence beyond what they heard from others.

Wish there was a 10krpm 250gb 7200.11 :drool:

I know it's not my review, but I woulda used the same 50GB on each drive(100GB total) for the RAID test to see exactly what increase you get over the single 50GB parttition. Too many people will overlook that even though you note it. Good job on the reviews though. :beer:

Back