• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsof offers 46 billion for Yahoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They're also microsoft's direct competitor to MSN online. Buying Yahoo would simply make it Microsoft vs. Google.

Then if they could manage to buy google...

...well. You remember what happened to Netscape?

MS is scared ****less of Google. 46 billion, damn that's a lot... :eek:

My thought on the issue is this:

MicroSoft wants a search engine to rival Google. It's not going to happen

Buying Yahoo is stupid. Their search technology pales in comparison to Google and is not much if any better than MicroSofts so they have wasted their money.

Google is a name and brand. Like Jacuzzi and hot tub are synonymous, Google is used as a verb. When asked a question and you don't know, you say "I don't know, let me Google it". You can't MicroSoft something..... They have software, game systems, car radio systems, tablet PCs and are too diversified. Google does a search engine and does it better than anybody else.

If MicroSoft wanted to they could've not bought all these other companies and just bought out Google and had it over with, that's probably what they'll eventually do anyway.

maybe google wouldnt sell to MS :) since they were planning an OS at one point no?

Buying Yahoo would make sense because MS would gain far more then just a serch engine,.

also whether you use google or not, yahoo has been around since, like, forever and beleive it or not it is likely very popular search engine still for ALOT of people, google i think is moer this newer generation of web users.

My thought on the issue is this:

MicroSoft wants a search engine to rival Google. It's not going to happen

Buying Yahoo is stupid. Their search technology pales in comparison to Google and is not much if any better than MicroSofts so they have wasted their money.

Google is a name and brand. Like Jacuzzi and hot tub are synonymous, Google is used as a verb. When asked a question and you don't know, you say "I don't know, let me Google it". You can't MicroSoft something..... They have software, game systems, car radio systems, tablet PCs and are too diversified. Google does a search engine and does it better than anybody else.

If MicroSoft wanted to they could've not bought all these other companies and just bought out Google and had it over with, that's probably what they'll eventually do anyway.

i can see them doing that.... 60+ billion haha....

Google is trying to create a online application suite, so far the suite is not very good, but the more Google maintains market dominance the more money they have to develop.
IF MS and Yahoo merge, they can work together in developing an online solution to Google’s online solutions,
Google Maps / Google Earth,
MS merge with Yahoo, they can bring Yahoo Maps to the desktop. And compete directly with Google Maps/ Earth
Yahoo IM, and MSN Live, are the 2 biggest Chat clients, a Merger will make them completely dominate, merging that Market dominance with MSN/Yahoo Search can help them turn people from searching with Google.
Basically Yahoo has many technologies to Compete with Google, and MSN has other technologies, combined they have all of the Google technologies, just not as good on their own, but with a Merger after the technologies are mixed, a Single site Solution for All search and Mobile office needs.
IF I was Microsoft I would create a NEW name with the Merger of Yahoo and MSN Search, so they can have create a verb like Google.
I would link Yahoo Maps, and a Desktop Map to the Outlook address book this is a function that Google does not offer, if you could map out from your address book with a single click, why use Google?
MS needs to create an Encyclopedia Search, from there Encarta encyclopedia, that is something google wants to do, but doesn’t actually offer yet, with the combined user base of MSN and Yahoo, they could grab that market before Google gets it.
MS has the resources, but they are battling Linux on one front, and Google on another front, they need to build an aggressive plan to beat Google, since they won’t be able to beat Linux.

Yahoo IM, and MSN Live, are the 2 biggest Chat clients, a Merger will make them completely dominate, merging that Market dominance with MSN/Yahoo Search can help them turn people from searching with Google.

Can you cite a source of where you got this information about yahoo IM and MSN Live? I personaly do not know any oen who uses those services. I personaly think the AIM has a much much larger share of chat cleints.

Can you cite a source of where you got this information about yahoo IM and MSN Live? I personaly do not know any oen who uses those services. I personaly think the AIM has a much much larger share of chat cleints.

London, April 10, 2006 – comScore Networks, the leader in digital media measurement, today released the results of an analysis of instant messenger (IM) usage in various parts of the world. According to the study, eighty-two million people, or 49 percent of the European online population, used IM applications to communicate online in February. In comparison, sixty-nine million people in North America, or only 37 percent of the online population, used IM during the same timeframe. Interestingly, the analysis showed that IM is most heavily used in the Latin American region, with 64 percent of the online population using IM in February.

The MSN Messenger application has the strongest penetration worldwide, with 61 percent of worldwide IM users utilizing the application in February. MSN Messenger is also dominant in Latin America, reaching more than 90 percent of IM users, and in Europe and Asia Pacific, reaching more than 70 percent of IM users in each region. North America is the most competitive IM market, with MSN Messenger, AOL/Aim and Yahoo! Messenger each garnering between 27 percent and 37 percent of IM users in February.

Additional IM programs are gaining ground, especially outside of North America. Skype is now used by 14 percent of IM users worldwide, although this application is used by only 3 percent of the online population in North America. Skype appears most popular in Asia Pacific, reaching 26 percent of the region’s IM user population.

Source : http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=800

Or, following Microsoft's trend, "MS-Yahoo"

That would be a bad idea, MS-Yahoo does not have catch phase appeal, just like No one really has picked up Calling MSN, Windows Live, MSN was easier to say, and people used it.

I'm going to Yahoo it.
I'm going to google it.
I'm going to MS-Yahoo it.

one of these things is not like the other....

I had not realized that Skype was getting that big, I personally hate it, such crappy quality I'll stick to Vonage and Pay for it. That would be something MS/Yahoo could tackle as well, a "phone" service tied into MSN/Yahoo IM clients,

I can see this Merger being good for the consumer, IF MS/Yahoo actually utalize the combined technology to go after google, because it will force google to actually get a focus and not just float around 100 idea's and slowly develop them.

Back