• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm building my first computer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CtV

Registered
I've been playing PC games since windows 3.0.

I'm 25 now and I thought that it was time to turn in my old alienware (4+ years old now? still runs new games, but its starting to chug) and build my own comp.

I thought this would be a good place to start asking questions.

I really want a bad *** gaming machine, even with my declining play time.

I really don't want to go liquid cooling on the first one I build so I was wondering what you all here thought of the NZXT Zero case for a first build?

CtV, first, :welcome: to the forums!

Second, cases are about 50% personal choice, so if you like it, it will probably work out ok. The other 50% are usability, quality, materials, etc... Allow me to elaborate:
The NZXT cases are alright, but I question what they are made of in terms of plastic vs. metal. Also, you can do better if you are looking for a full tower, such as the stacker or the TT armor. I also hate ( myself ) doors, but that's up to you. The armor has the full tower, a big fan in the side, and is generally regarded to be of better build quality. The stacker is also a full tower, although it doesn't have a fan in the side ( not terribly necessary IMO ). Another option, for some more money, is the Lian-Li series of full tower cases, which are like twice the previously listed ones. Although once you've got one, you see where it went. Beautiful finishes, the right parts, nice styling, features that you don't really find anywhere else....sorry....anyway, here's the one I have, the PC-G70B. Well, actually, its only an extra $30 bucks, but it doesn't have a window. Great case though, I recommend it heartily.

Hope that helps you decide,
-Drew

Hi Ctv and welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Pop quiz for anybody looking at their first computer build ;)
  1. What is the primary application? Games, computation, media server etc etc?
  2. What is your budget?
  3. Any parts you can salvage from your old computer?
  4. Special needs (like silence over performance..etc) ?
  5. Will you be overclocking? (You must! This is OCForums...:D )
Your first build can be a highly satisfying and rewarding experience, so I hope you enjoy it. Almost everybody here is a veteran of dozens of computer builds, so you are in good hands.

Keep us posted and you will have answers in (almost) minutes! Finally, be patient on your first build, it can be overwhelming if you don't take it slow (few hours).

Good Luck!

S-N

:welcome: CtV,

I am almost finished building my rig, which i started about a month ago. and i just want to tell you that i would have NEVER been able to do it without the help from everyone here:beer:

I started out knowing absolutally nothing about a computer what so ever, and i have learned so much that i am thinking about asking Microsoft if they are hiring :D

The advice i will give you is this,
~1~ Do NOT be afraid to ask ANY question that has you stumped, or just curious about.
~2~ Be as spacific as possible with your questions.
~3~ Be patient, you will get responces to your questions, the rite people just have to finde them.
~4~ Do NOT post the same message in differend catagories. (i did this when i first joined and let me tell you, a lot of people get bothered by this LOL)
~5~ READ READ READ, and once you have read EVERY post READ themm again lol, (i cannot stress this point enough) READ!!
~6~ Have fun, these people are GREAT.

As for your question, I have theTT armor, and i love it, it fits all my hardware with room to spare, but if i can throw my 2 cents in, if your not going for water cooling i think the mid size Antec 900 is the way to go (That is the way i was going to go and even considerd with water cooling:shrug:)

The antec 900 case has the best stock cooling for a case that you can get,(atleast thats what i have read and seen everywhere) which is deff. the way to go if your not water cooling. now you will still need to get a good CPU fan as for a serious gaming rig, the stock fan just will not do. (you will have to ask around on a good CPU fan since i use water and do not know)

CtV, :welcome: to the forums!

You have come to the right place to get the info you need.I would do a lot of research before buildng your new PC .Because right now there is so much new stuff hitting the shelve's .Like the new Quad core's and god only knows what else.Take your time picking and choosing your system.In the end it will be worth it.I know nothing makes me madder than when i buy a part and a week later something better and cheaper comes out

and yes the NZXT Zero would make a great starting point.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supernade's pop quiz.
#5-will you be overclocking? (You must! This is OCForums...:D ) Im underclocked atm .So am i in trouble?...lol:attn:

Last edited:
Pop quiz for anybody looking at their first computer build ;)
  1. What is the primary application? Games, computation, media server etc etc?
  2. What is your budget?
  3. Any parts you can salvage from your old computer?
  4. Special needs (like silence over performance..etc) ?
  5. Will you be overclocking? (You must! This is OCForums...:D )

1. Most likely, this rig will be used for online gaming most of the time. I dabble in A/V editing and photoshop. I plan on hooking it up to my stereo (also older, but good). I do alot of pirating. DVD's and CD's (although things I really love, I prefer to buy).

2. Low, but I don't plan on this being done overnight. I plan on this taking me a few months to do so I can save up money for better parts.

3. Not really. I'm really going to be starting from scratch.

4. Not that I can think of. I'd just like it to run as best online as I can get it too. Give me that extra edge gaming ^^

5. I plan on it, but I'll most likely need my hand held through the process =P I have a terrible tendency to get overwhelmed by new projects and shut down without help. It's a very bad habit,

I'd like to add

Thank you all for welcoming me to the forums. I really don't know ****, but I really do want to know more. I've been watching these forums for a few months, a friend of mine showed them to me when I wanted to know more about computers so I could start building my own. I don't really understand alot of stuff but I'm sure I'll learn.

and again Ty for the warm welcome ^^

I'm sure I'll be annoying you all with my endless questions in the months to come.

^^

I have the Antec 900 case now.. and i highly regret switching to it from the Antec p180. The Antec p180 may not look as nice.. but u will quickly get bored of flashy cases. I think the Antec p180 had better cooling.. and it was much quieter (like crazy wall material absorbed sound) and much much bigger (like a Hummer Compared to a Small BMW). It is easier to work with.. very easy first build case. Another case i love is the thermaltake centurion or whatever it is.. That is the easiest first build case.. but as far as cases go.. none of them are hard to use.

CtV....

Telling a moderator that you pirate lots of CDs and DVDs is not a good way to start out in this forum.

See:

6. ABSOLUTELY no posting of Warez (Pirated Software) or links to Warez sites. All such sites are illegal and pose a threat to our continued existence.

http://www.ocforums.com/announcement.php?f=66&a=5

I suggest you read all the other policies too.

Oh and congratulations from jumping ship from alienware *applaud*

Grab the 900 or the CM690. Look around for the best deal on both. The 900 I've seen go for $50 and the 690 I've seen as low as $5.

Some suggestions for your first build.

1) If gaming is your aim, identify your GPU FIRST. Build the system aorund the graphics card you want. Games are much more dependent on the GPU than all the other components.

2) Be aware of what over clocks are easily achievable on what CPUs. You can save youself a little money by purchasing the right CPU. Some CPUs despite thier stock clocks, will overclock more or less identically.

3) Buy a Decent Motherboard. You don't need to spend $200+ on a motherboard, but the mothe rboard is one area you don't want to buy bargain basement either.

4) When is comes to gaming cases, there are two types. Portable, and Gigantic things that rival the 7 wonders of the earth. If you don't plan on doing "LAN parties" on a regular basis, It's my firm belief that bigger is definately better.

5) Just remember, building a computer is WAY easier than it looks. Honestly, the hardest part is deciding what to buy.

CtV....

Telling a moderator that you pirate lots of CDs and DVDs is not a good way to start out in this forum.

I didn't plan on doing anything like posting links. I just wanted to clearly lay out what I do on my comp as to get the best advice possible.

I apologize though if you don't approve of it. I don't mean to offend anyone. Although I do buy the things I enjoy when available, I can't always due to the nature of my taste in music it's hard to find samples to listen to before buying and even sometimes the actual CDs TO buy, let alone tv shows that no longer air and not actually available on DVD (IE: The Muppets Tonight, Freakazoid).

Anywho, again, my apologies.

Back